Author Topic: Are they warm enough??  (Read 2226 times)

B7jac

• Quarter Acre
Are they warm enough??
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:37 »
With all this snow and cold weather, I am feeling very sorry for my chickens!  I do shut them in their coop at night and put extra (shredded paper) bedding in the next boxes, but they still sleep on the perch!.  I feed them scraps from last nights dinner each morning as well as layers pellets with maize always available! I have even taken to giving them some warm weetabix in the morning too ( after refreshing their frozen water!).  Despite leaving their run door open for free ranging around the garden as usual, they will not walk on the snow !! and cant even see the grass

However they are laying most days, and seem happy (and fat!) enough.... but is there anything else I can do to make them more comfortable??

What do you do?.....
You always love your children more than they love you...

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Are they warm enough??
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:28 »
To be honest, not sure you can do anymore, they sound very spoilt and happy.

I have given ours more straw than usual in the coop and make sure that their water is not frozen, but other than that not a lot else. They are laying and healthy. Keep an eye out for them and some people recommend putting vaseline on their combs as a prevention to frostbite. But whilst cold and icy we have escaped most of the bad weather.

Hot weather is more of a problem for chooks than cold ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

bison1947

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 13:17:50 »
Yes was a bit concered about the 10 we have
but looking around the net most sites say that
chickens can survive quite well at 20 degrees
below for quite a while so not to concerned yet
Still getting 8 to 9 eggs a day so they dont seem
to be suufering.

Bison...

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 14:05:27 »

However they are laying most days, and seem happy (and fat!) enough.... but is there anything else I can do to make them more comfortable??

Take them into the living room? :)
Seriously though isn't rolled oats supposed to be a warming food for them? Give them some of that before they go to bed.
Sounds as though you have some pampered chicks.

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 17:10:26 »
I would like to sympothise with you here. I have 3 chickens, 2 guinea pigs and a rabbit outside and if you were to open the sleeping sections for any of them its full of hay, enough for them to hide in and the chickens to prevent a draft. AND (please dont tell the other half) but I have been giving my chickens my other halves readybrek with hot milk every morning!!  ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal