Author Topic: Snow in the south  (Read 5270 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Snow in the south
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:21:27 »
Just took this photo, nothing has been up or down the road this morning, I think the yellow truck is the only thing that might move.
[attachment=1]
The Tuscan Beaneater

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:09 »
Isn't it a shame when it all gets walked/driven on and dirty?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 09:06:56 »

I'm wondering if going to London tomorrow will a) happen and b) be worth the hassle!!

Well, the trains didn't start running till 8 this morning and then they are running a reduced hourly service. Guess I'll take the hint and stay at home and listen to the cricket and pack the pumpkin seeds for ChrisCross' swap!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:49 »
6 inches here now, thats one inch since 6.15am
Very pretty I love it, but please try & stay home if you possibly can & take great care if you can't.

I don't think we'll risk coming to the office in Petworth Poppy Mole, trying to get down Fox Hill could be interesting!

6 inches here and it's started snowing again. The men in our house couldn't get the Sky signal so a quick snowball aimed at the dish dislodged most of the snow.

Safe travel to anyone that has to go out today.

Ninny

Ninny

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:34 »
It's not amusing anymore. It has taken a high hedge over, I hope I can get it tied back in when the sun comes out.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:55:51 »
I'ts not so much coming down Fox Hill as getting back up probably.
I love the technology that gets the TV working - reminiscent of the days when you thumped the set to control the vertical hold.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:25 »
Am sitting at work in Enfield and the snow is falling but the roads are clear, problem is i am getting calls from people in my village to say start coming back now as it is getting quite bad, trying to work out how to talk my boss into letting me go home as when he looks out of the window it is all clear and he has no problems in his lovely 4x4. hope the A10 holds up, got caught in blizzards twice before xmas and it is rather scary when you are doing 20mph in a queue of traffic, no road markings to be seen and an arctic thunders past at least 50mph.
 :'(

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 10:15:55 »
Whoops! Wrong thread. ;)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 10:37:29 »
Whoops! Wrong thread. ;)

Any thread will do on this subject it seems  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The Tuscan Beaneater

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:45 »
Lovely!!  I sympathise for those having problems with the snow but I can't help myself, I love it! ;D

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 11:17:16 »
Well we had the first snow of the year here in Bournemouth 2 hours ago and its falling hard !! we already have 2" and i have been sent home from work as the boss gives me a lift and he had a call from his wife that there place was getting bad.
Jess our new rescue dog is sat watching it and soooo wants to go play in it, might let her later  ;D
Keep safe all xxx

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 11:26:46 »
About five inches here and more is arriving all the time.  

Went outside. I love the crunch you get when you walk on fresh snow.  

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 11:38:24 »
Exactly twelve inches here on Hants/Berks border - just been out and measured it.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:01 »
Had more than a foot of snow overnight, on top of a foot or more.  The Scottish Borders is closed off to the rest of the World I think.  So, even my Tesco delivery won't get through.  I haven't seen as much snow since 1962/3.  Its beautiful but I am knackered with clearing it for the wee birds.  Roll on summer!!!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 12:21:49 »
Woke up to a inch or so of snow and it's been coming down ever since!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 13:24:41 »

Had plenty here in Reading and it is still coming down  :-\

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 13:58:00 »
Snowing on and off here in Devon, Exeter and Plymouth schools are closed. I found out at the last minute before leaving the house that my eldest sons school was closed ! He's happy playing on dad's computer atm ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 14:02:17 »
many of you will not believe this but here in Dorchester, Dorset we hadn't had any snow at all this winter (since 1 December 09). The last snow was back in early March 09. Well that was this morning! At around 10am it finally started and has only just stopped. Very light really only around a centimeter/ 1/2 inch. Nothing compared to what some of you have had. At least I can look you all in the face so to speak now we have had some snow. at one point it looked as if we would miss it entirely as we seemed to be in a clear pocket with snow all around.  Lucky you might think. i just felt guilty about it to be honest.

Funny how the weather can change all of a sudden. Yesterday morning it looked as if Dorset would be badly hit that evening and again overnight. The county was braced for the worst. Then all of a sudden the front shifts direction slightly and Hampshire and the Home Counties get the full force of it and Dorset is left 'in the eye of the storm so to speak. I guess its finally payback time for 1978!

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 14:44:20 »
We've got about 3 inches on the edge of Exeter and its snowed on and off for most of the day. Most of the schools are closed and I'm taking a snow day as I can't get the car up the hill to get to the main road and the buses aren't running. I did have the chance to test a theory of my grandmothers - if you lay a rug face down in fresh clean show and walk over it, the snow does a great job of cleaning the rug. It's true and it works! I'm itching to get on with the allotment, but for now there's lots of things to do round the house, the heating is on full, supper (home grown veg soup) is in the slow cooker and I've got a good supply of chocolate!
Kitty Katt

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 17:57:51 »
A bit chaotic in London come 4-5pm after a few inches fell.  Everyone got let off work early so the roads were a standstill - buses abandoned - cars sliding all over the road.  Just out of work there is a small hill and most people's cars would just not get up it - so gridlock. It's a bit better now but it looks like a snow day tomorrow.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal