Author Topic: Gaint Pumpkin seeds  (Read 7394 times)

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
Gaint Pumpkin seeds
« on: January 03, 2010, 18:27:22 »
Hello im after a litte help and figured this would be the best place to ask.  Im after some seed for a big pumpkin such as dills atlantic giant, and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction, im told that you increase your chances of getting a monster if you get a seed from a big specimen rather than ordering a packet from a seed company.  Does anybody know anyone who may be able to help?, i dont expect anything for free by the way :)

all the best

Woody
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Gaint Pumpkin seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 18:40:21 »
Have you looked at the Dill's Atlantic site?
I'm not sure if they ship to the UK, but it might be worth enquiring.

http://www.howarddill.com/

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 19:08:28 »
If you scroll back through Pumpkin tastic you will find an American contributor who could probably help point you in the right direction..  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 21:42:47 »
Have you looked at the Dill's Atlantic site?
I'm not sure if they ship to the UK, but it might be worth enquiring.

http://www.howarddill.com/

They do ship abroad, it's 8 dollars instead of 5 for seeds...... not cheap if you want to grow something from their premium biggies... that said, you only have to look at the sheer size of the seeds in "normal" Atlantic Giant packets to know they come from collosall stock, they're 5-10 times bigger than any other pumpkin seed I've seen (though I've not seen Sumo or Big Max which are reckoned to be pretty large)....

Back to the OP, I'd suggest practicing on normal Atlantic Giant first otherwise you could spend a lot of money on failure, AG is more finicky than most squash/pumpkins and it's easy to get it wrong in a hurry due to its audrey-like demands.... once you can crack 250 lbs with a normal AG then look at getting in the special seed....

chrisc

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 15:06:28 »
send me a message and ill organise a few seeds for you  from guarenteed giant  pkns and also the genetics of them these seeds are not shop bought seed but from  competion growers  all the best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 17:21:14 »
Good luck though :D

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 22:07:01 »
Thanks for the help guys, and a sepcial thanks to Mal.

Cant wait till i can get em going.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:34 »
no problem mate  but getting the seed is the easy bit as with most things the more you put into it the more you will get out
it takes good soil balance  lots of work and a good quality seed  oh ye and most of all good luck atb mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 15:19:42 »
http://  Don't worry to much about your soil for first time growing just have fun. PM me your address and i will send you a few seeds of giants

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 14:36:02 »
seeds will be in post on monday woody good luck and grow em big

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 14:50:33 »
I've heard of folks infusing them with fertilizers  by IV which seems a bit extreme ::) and then needing a hoist to get them to the farm show.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 15:05:25 »
the world record is 1725 pounds  held by christy harp 2009
european record is 1611 pounds held by mehdi daho france 2009
british record is 1457 held by ian and stu paton 2008 ex europen record
 but when you think just ten years ago the  world record was a mere 1100 pounds or so

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 18:02:05 »
the world record is 1725 pounds  held by christy harp 2009
european record is 1611 pounds held by mehdi daho france 2009
british record is 1457 held by ian and stu paton 2008 ex europen record
 but when you think just ten years ago the  world record was a mere 1100 pounds or so

Then what does one do with 1725 lbs of pumpkin? Sounds like a major baking headache. Even composting that much!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 18:09:35 »
usually they are carved by pumpkin artists  and if the seeds becomes proven ie grows big pumpkins can  be sold there are seeds been sold right now for upto 800 dollars eachand if an average pumpkins has a couple of hundred seeds then its big moneyto be had

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 20:32:20 »
woody let me know when seeds arrive safely please thanks mal

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 21:04:05 »
Will do mate, nothing arrived as of yet, think our post has been slowed down a little with the snow.

w00dy

HEDGEPILOT

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 22:45:25 »

There is a fella selling Atlantic Giant Seed (hand pollinated!)
                  for Charity (MacMillan Support) £2.pkt @ 'charity pumpkin seed' on
                  e-bay!!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 22:52:26 »

There is a fella selling Atlantic Giant Seed (hand pollinated!)
                  for Charity (MacMillan Support) £2.pkt @ 'charity pumpkin seed' on
                  e-bay!!

Any coincidence that that's your first post on this forum?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 08:58:45 »
Premier Seed Direct (ebay) do them for their standard 99p plus fl;at postage (yiou pay 65p no matter how many packs of seeds you order) ... No connection other than happy customer..... PLus they are a licenced Dills outlet so these are produced to Dills stadnards......

Squashface

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 20:48:29 »
Premier Seed Direct (ebay) do them for their standard 99p plus fl;at postage (yiou pay 65p no matter how many packs of seeds you order) ... No connection other than happy customer..... PLus they are a licenced Dills outlet so these are produced to Dills stadnards......

Just because they are licenced Dill's suppliers doesn't mean they are of the genetics competition growers demand. Dills premium selected seeds are though...the one's that list the father and mother crosses. Seeds from Mal and other growers themselves are also very select seeds. They have been grown and selected over the years most with controlled pollinations. The suppliers are field growing the Dill's variety...open pollinated and quite inferior in size potential. Especially when you consider the effort a grower puts in. To max out at 250lbs is disappointing, and thats likely what you'll max out at with generic dills approved ebay seeds. You wouldn't run in the Kentucky Derby with a friend's barnhorse would you?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal