Author Topic: saving documents  (Read 2289 times)

ACE

• Hectare
saving documents
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:32:26 »
I have just tried to save some bookings I made online. The confirmation came as an email so I thought I would put them altogether in a special named folder so I could refer to them at a later date without clogging up my email account. I do all the usual 'save as' routine just like anything else I want to save. Everything clicks in and the little indicator starts showing save, then at 71% saved up pops a message saying this webpage cannot be saved. I've experemented with saving as text, or html and the other options the save box offers but they do not save the emailed form that I want. I know I can print these out to save them but it is my holiday agenda and I would like them all on the laptop instead of loads of bits of paper.

So who is up to the challenge of telling me how. In normal everyday language if you can as  techspeak  goes over my head and my attention span quickly goes into shutdown.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: saving documents
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:17:55 »
ACE - what email prog are you using?  Is it Hotmail or some web based thing rather than Outlook???

If you cant save the email as a web page one easy way is to copy the content of the email into Word.

Open the email, press Ctrl and A (selects everything), Ctrl and C (to copy it)  then switch to word and Ctrl and P (to paste it).  However this may not preserve the formatting..
IF you dont want the whole page just select what you want rather than selecting everything...then copy and paste...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:27:29 »
I expect I will end up doing copy and paste, but I really wanted to store them as booking forms and print them altogether nearer the time I am going on a trip staying at 5 different sites with different eta's at each one, plus ferry bookings that are my tickets and all carrying reference numbers.

I just thought it would be easy to store them away in a virtual folder, but it looks like they will have to be printed and kept in a proper clip folder.(Where the missus can tidy them away) ;D

I am using windows live for my emails which is basically just plain old hotmail. If the form comes as an attachment, there is not a problem, but it looks like I have to actually save the webpage when the booking form comes direct.

Thanks anyway.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:56:50 »
I would print to pdf if save as didn't work.
If your print options don't include print to pdf then install a free virtual PDF printer driver such as http://www.dopdf.com the pdf files can be viewed with free software like acrobat reader or foxit reader etc...

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:21 »
I was just about to suggest the print to PDF aswell. useful as it keeps the site/ ip details in the message

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:27 »
you could " right click" on the page you want to save,click on "select all" then do the same again...click on "copy" and paste in word
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 23:43:01 »
I use PDF Printer to save emails and webpages, this is available for Linux systems. I don't know if there is a similar software for Windows. It saves all the fonts and graphics as they appear on screen.

Just had a look at the "DoPDF" it looks to be the same as PDF Printer. so a very easy way of saving everything as it appears on screen.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 23:47:51 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 20:23:56 »
That was a good solution with the pdf thingy. Ideal for a lot of other stuff I need to save as well. Only one problem, something else I had to download, instead of the laptop which cost a fortune being unable to do it automatically ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal