Author Topic: A video to show how we cultivated a neglected plot over 2 seasons  (Read 5239 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
Decided to put together this video clip today to summarise how we cleared our allotment plot and the changes over the last 2 seasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6wyhyg1WE

;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: A video to show how we cultivated a neglected plot over 2 seasons
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 22:48:23 »
Wow, that's quite a show-piece you've created, first rate job.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 23:23:06 »
This is why I want an allotment!  Well done- all that hard work has certainly paid off!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 23:47:20 »
Amazing.

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:58:19 »
All that hard work well done to you. Well deserved winning most improved plot.
great video.......... ::)................................................ ;D

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:11:31 »
Well done.
one of the best 9 minutes I've spent on here.

its a credit to you. :o
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:33:51 »
A wonderful picture showing all that lottie life has to offer.

An inspiration to all of us.Well done   ;D

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 08:02:13 »
Well done Sparkly. :) Such encouragement for new plot holders. Shows what can be done with dedication and enthusiasm. Happy planting for 2010. JB

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:16:22 »
Fantastic.
 May I ask in what order you will rotate your crops in the raised beds?  I have 4 10' x 10'.  I am trying to work out a rotation plan to have the best way of having crops follow on from each other.  eg jap. onions after early peas then I get lost.
Also what was the mound at the beginning?  I have one which looks the same.
I hope you will post more pictures.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:03 »
Wow, thats amazing. Well done!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 10:11:43 »
Echoing the other posters - a brilliant plot, well done :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 11:12:41 »
Fantastic.
 May I ask in what order you will rotate your crops in the raised beds?  I have 4 10' x 10'.  I am trying to work out a rotation plan to have the best way of having crops follow on from each other.  eg jap. onions after early peas then I get lost.
Also what was the mound at the beginning?  I have one which looks the same.
I hope you will post more pictures.

The mound at the beginning was a huge heap of 'compost' that was left by the previous tennant. Apparently over 10 years he had thrown all green material to that end of the plot. It was about 7ft high x 10ft across the width of the plot. This was why we had to put the path in first as this mound just sloped very steeply onto the plot so walking across it in winter was an accident waiting to happen. It has couch grass and bindweed, plus a few other things growing in the top of it. The roots were actually quite easy to get out as the heap was not compacted at all so we pulled them out and sieved the 'compost' and used this to fill the raised beds. It did seem like a nightmare in first, but really it was a blessing in disguise. We did find a few things in there like some ladies shoes and a full pane of glass (put the spade through that one and then had to pull out all the pieces!)

The photo at the beginning also shows what looks like a mass of bindweed. This bindweed was growing over brambles, apple trees and, what I think were, self-set birch trees! There was one in their that was about 3 or 4 inches in diameter! The previous tennant had grown fruits on the whole plot, mainly brambles and blackcurrants. He had apparently planted them so close that he couldn't get in to harvest them and so just let them go wild. He was also an ex-police officer who refused to listen to anyone and who the committee would not stand up to. He had 3 plots that were a complete mess and stayed like this for many years.

When we were offered the plot it had been refused by many on the list and the previous 2 tennants had made vague attempts to clear it and then gave up.

I was at the plot on my own when our secretary approached me about it. I had a quick look and quickly signed on the dotted line. I know it looked horrendous, but we are young enough to deal with the hardwork. I came home and told Ant about getting the plot and he said "that great, which one is it?". I told him it was a bit overgrown and the one in the far corner of the plot. We went down to the plot and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack LOL.

I hope the pictures do inspire new allotment holders because, although it is hardwork it can be done.

My advice to to get all the roots out and don't take short-cuts and you will get there in the end!

In terms of rotation - potato (onion), roots, legumes, brassicas is what we are going for. We have decided that some our of beds are a bit small and are going to replace some of these at the top end of the plot with larger beds.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:25:15 »
When we were offered the plot it had been refused by many on the list and the previous 2 tennants had made vague attempts to clear it and then gave up

I think that you are something of an inspiration.  What you have not said is how many hours per week you had to give to the work.  The bindweed sounds a nightmare hope you managed to kill it, but presume it might creep back from the edges.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 11:29:53 »
Thanks for such a detailed reply.  My mound is at the far end of the plot so not so bad as yours at the top.The description of unsafe, rubbish etc combined with "compost" and weeds sounds about the same.   I plan to tackle it next year.  Weed killer first.  My 4th year on my plot.
Re rotation.  Are you going to grow potatoes in raised beds?  
Thanks again for for reply.  

Sparkly

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 11:45:53 »
When we were offered the plot it had been refused by many on the list and the previous 2 tennants had made vague attempts to clear it and then gave up

I think that you are something of an inspiration.  What you have not said is how many hours per week you had to give to the work.  The bindweed sounds a nightmare hope you managed to kill it, but presume it might creep back from the edges.

In terms of time over the winter period we spend between 4-10 hours at the plot at the weekends. This was most weekends, but not all.  We both work fulltime and it is dark by the time we are home so our time is limited by this. During the summer we probably spend up to 12-14 hours at the weekend and do visit during the week occassionally for harvesting in the evenings. I do have the benefit of being a teacher so that means I do spend the holidays at the plot. I do go down most days when I am off, but this is often only for an hour or 2.

The bindweed has been much better than we expected. The other plots around us are clear so our plot was the actual source. The plot around the back of the shed does have bindweed, but we have slabbed around that area so that should help keep it back. We have had the odd bit of bindweed come up on the plot, but we have just dug it out. If it comes up on the path I used weedkiller on it (painted on). This season there was hardly any so we must be getting there.

We grew jersey royals successfully in the raised beds, but they are quite small plants. Not sure about larger varieties.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 11:47:40 »
Thank you for that - lovely pictures and amazing final result!!!

Alison

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 11:54:10 »
what an exellent video you deserved a win after all that effort

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 12:03:58 »
Great video. Thank you for sharing. Well done and what results for all your hard work.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 12:16:50 »
I do have the benefit of being a teacher so that means I do spend the holidays at the plot.

My sister in law was a teacher and loved getting away from it all by gardening.  She especially liked planting things in neat rows and finding they stayed where you put them.

Cheaper than a 'gym'.

Soil nice and black.  Our allotment is very pale brown.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:41 »
Thank you for posting this. You did a wonderful job, it's just the inspiration needed at this time of year!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal