Author Topic: Soil improver  (Read 1001 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Soil improver
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:04:33 »
Hi guys,

Not allowed to use horse manure on our site they have found something on one of the plots that used it! Cant remember what its called  ::)

So what other soil improvers do you use? I haven't got enough homemade compost to go around the whole plot just yet  ;)

Went down the plot yesterday to have a tidy up and ended up being there for ages. Its normally quite but yesterday i was on the site totally alone. Worked out well managed to put 2 beds in on my friends side, unfortunately not much left to do on mine but thankfully she is very grateful of the help and I'm very grateful to still have something to do  ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Soil improver
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:43:07 »
You could try some green manures but i think its a wee bit too cold to start them now or you could try to find some spent mushroom compost, that works pretty well or ask the council if they have a compost scheme, if they recycle green waste you can have it delivered by the lorry load for quite a good price.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 21:01:39 »
Thanks will give the council a try  ;D

kingston boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:13:47 »

Try seaweed Meal. It has algenates in it and they help with soil structure. So it says on the bag.Its nothing like manure but it helps. Seemed to work fine for me.
If the people on your site are concerned about the contaminated manure  {two seasons ago} i would ask them to explain why. Most sites said the contamination would go inside a year if the ground was dug over properly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal