Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 1368 times)

Parsley

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a very friendly lion, called ....
Leeks
« on: November 01, 2004, 22:06:02 »
Should I be worried?   :-\ :-\

I noticed today that the outer leaves on my leeks are going a little yellow.  As I've never grown them before I'm not sure if I should be concerned.  They  have been in since beginning of September and up until now, had appeared to be doing well.  I haven't earthed them up yet.

Any ideas

Thanks

Tina
Never eat yellow snow.....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 22:49:06 »
hmmm....wonder if it is just the sudden cold wet weather that has caused the yellowing?  Mine are slightly rusty, but that is noticeably orange and dusty and YUCK!  Are they sitting in water?  Isn't yellowing of leaves chlorosis?  Are they lacking in something I wonder?? See, I am no help whatsoever!  Someone a darn sight more knowledgeable will wander by now and put us both right.

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 23:05:12 »
My first crop of leeks in a 'new' allotment are a bit on the thin side and suffering from rust.  Are the two interconnected?  We live and learn.  :-\ Cheers,  Tony.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 23:07:34 »
Don't know bannerdown.  My leeks last year were very rusty, but come spring, put on loads of growth and once the outer leaves were gone, I had lovely tasty leeks.  The garlic suffered from the rust more.  Everything will slow right down now, but as soon as the weather warms up again, they will romp away!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal