Author Topic: oh dear - my first ever letter!  (Read 27272 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
oh dear - my first ever letter!
« on: December 25, 2009, 14:52:21 »
Happy Christmas everyone. I'm just having some peace and quiet while everyone naps upstairs!

Yesterday, Christmas Eve, I got a letter from the council saying my plot wasn't sufficiently cultivated.  :(

I can see why, as it's fairly new, and still being cleared. So it doesn't look its best (especially not in winter!) It's possible that they didn't cross-check with the list of new tenancies. I'm hoping that they'll be reasonable, when back off their Christmas hols.

But still, it's worrying, your allotment is so precious, all the work, all the dreams!
And although I am aware especially in mid-December, it's going to win no Britain in bloom prizes, it is slightly disappointing to be told it looks c***p enough for a letter from the council!

I know the hours and hours of cutting down 6' high brambles, digging out roots like footballs!

Oh well - all we can do is keep digging! (I wish they'd been this zealous with the last tenants, maybe I'd have inherited a grassed over plot instead of Sleeping  Beauty's foforest of thorns!)  ;)

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
Re: oh dear - my first ever letter!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 15:59:18 »
well if you  don't get your plot up to snuff. you will not have worry either since you will lose your plot. you better increase your progress,digging and read your contract. Since if you plot is not fixed you might have to have your plot cleaned up at your expense.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 17:22:52 »
Pigeonseed thanks, and you!
Don't worry as there's no way that  they can have expected you to have worked on the plot in recent weeks. Contact whoever wrote the letter next week and see what they say then. As you say I'm sure that they'll be reasonable.
I'd also ignore the previous comment as I feel that it's rather unhelpful!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 17:24:38 »
Yeah, you'll get there, pigeonseed, have a good Christmas & ignore the unhelpful post (once you've managed to understand it!).

pennsylvannia planters

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 17:41:38 »
well if you  don't get your plot up to snuff. you will not have worry either since you will lose your plot. you better increase your progress,digging and read your contract. Since if you plot is not fixed you might have to have your plot cleaned up at your expense. ??????????
Don't worry,
When the weather permits, just get started (even if its a small section), and contact the appropiate authorities just to clarify things.
Have a good Christmas.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 17:48:06 »
Hi Pigeonseed 'bet they've made a mistake,I'd write to them after Christmas and don't worry  :)
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 18:12:01 »
I'm sure it will all be fine Abigail... did you take some "before " photos so you can demonstrate how much progress you have made...
I haven't forgotten your GKH...  :-[

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 19:40:07 »
the reason I responded pigeonseed is when I had community garden plot years ago. It was spell out in the contract that even if the plot was a mess weeds when you got it. After receiving your plot you had  2 month clear it. As long it was weed free you would no problems with the management.  Half had be cultivate and ready plant after 2 months. It also clearly stated weather was not an excuse for weedy or messy plot.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 19:49:01 by mrestofus »

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 20:37:33 »
Happy Christmas to you too Pigeonseed!

It would seem that the Council are being a bit unreasonable and not taking into account that you haven't had your plot very long. As others have said, I would contact them after Christmas and explain the situation.
Good luck!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 22:46:04 »
nice christmas pressie pigeonseed!
as everyone else has said,contact whoever wrote the letter and make things clear,good luck and happy christmas
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 13:55:07 »
Thanks for the support - it's a case of waiting till they're back from their Christmas holidays. I'm sure they mean well. I was there on Christmas eve as well!

mrestofus - I think I have a year to cultivate 75% of it, so I'm within that, though it has been slow progress. But I can't go faster, as I've got some back problems, after I had my baby last year. My back is slowly improving with physio, so the plot will also improve!  :)

It's not snowing or frozen here in Hastings anymore, though today it is raining a lot so it's heavy going on clay soil. I'm planning to go in a few minutes, after a stiff coffee.

I'll look like a clay model of myself when i get back.  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 14:56:54 »
75% cultivated within a year isn't much time is it for an overgrown plot?  It has taken me about 4 yrs to do mine and that was mainly couch.  Having said that, there is still a patch never touched.  Wish you all the best with the council and hope your back gets better soon. 

May

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 15:07:57 »
sorry lottie lou,but ive got to disagree with you there,our plot was the worst ive ever seen,brambles taller than us the entire length of it,and we got it done in months.i think if you cant get a plot to 75% in a year,it should go to someone that can,otherwise the land is being wasted.
rach
x

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 15:37:46 »
sorry lottie lou,but ive got to disagree with you there,our plot was the worst ive ever seen,brambles taller than us the entire length of it,and we got it done in months.i think if you cant get a plot to 75% in a year,it should go to someone that can,otherwise the land is being wasted.
rach
x

Well there are much worse things than brambles - couch grass and bindweed for a start!

"cultivation" is not well defined. Even our committee can't agree on this! Our views range from 'hang the person for one weed' to 'this is permiculture and there is stuff growing so it doesn't matter about all the weeds'.

I can imagine if these decisions are made by an individual at the council they may be very inconsistent year to year and even month to month!

We took on a very bad plot and cleared it within 2 seasons, although the any area we were not working on was fully covered. This was a 10 pole plot.

I have to admit that over the 2 years I hve spent on the committee, my idea of 'cultivation' has become alot stricter. It is very annoying when plots are in a poor state. Saying this, you cannot expect people to work miracles.

I have seen many plots "cleared" within a month just to regrow all the perenials as all the roots were not removed.

It is very easy to judge, and lean towards either side, from a computer monitor. Nobody likes being told they are not doing well enough in maintaining their plot. Many of these people do have plots in a poor state and are just in denial. Others could be victims of councils or committees who have too much time on their hands or are just bullies! Without before and after pictures it is very difficult to comment.

My only advice to the poster is to ensure you cover what you are not working on and take photos to record your progress.

Unfortunately we do live in a world where you have to back yourself up with a 'papertrail' (or in this case a set of pictures).

You will also enjoy the pictures as it is great to look back on your progress.  ;D

Did you not get a verbal warning? On our site all tennants are given a verbal warning first.

Best of luck with your plot.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 16:36:07 »
rach
x
I think that's a bit harsh.  If you can't maintain a plot, then sure, it's too big and you have to give some up, but getting on top of weeds takes way more effort than maintaining it, and if you're to do it without weedkiller which is perfectly reasonable, it'll take at least a year - a couple of years on heavy clay.  There'll always be enthusiasts (like me and you) who'll do it in less, but it's not reasonable to expect everyone to have that much time and dedication.  Allotments are hobbies for a lot of us, but first and foremost an allotment is where your average working woman grows fruit and veggies to feed her family, and it rightly takes its place in life's priorities.

Pige, I wouldn't assume your council mean well, it's quite possible that the're vindictive trolls!  Anywho, sending out a letter just before Crimble is totally unreasonable.  Doing anything on a wet clay soil is increadible demoralising hard graft, and terrible for the structure of the soil.  You can't reasonably do anything at all until mid-March.

How do the council administer your site - through a steward?  Have a word with her if she's reasonable and she should put the council straight.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 16:59:49 »
i do expect people to have the   of time to cultivate the size of plot they choose! im sick of people taking on too much land then wasting it,its happened a lot this year,sorry,im just having a moan!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 17:29:17 »
i do expect people to have the   of time to cultivate the size of plot they choose! im sick of people taking on too much land then wasting it,its happened a lot this year,sorry,im just having a moan!
Then stand down and get your perspective back.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 17:31:10 »
i do expect people to have the   of time to cultivate the size of plot they choose! im sick of people taking on too much land then wasting it,its happened a lot this year,sorry,im just having a moan!
Then stand down and get your perspective back.
;D blimey unwashed! i clearly said i was just having a moan! now who is being harsh!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 18:15:10 »
Sorry Elvis.  What I mean is, if you're finding that your tenants are annoying you, then you've lost your empathy.  It's hard to get back without a break and you're not serving your tenants well without it.  You'll also make yourself miserable if you carry on like that.  Stand down for a couple of years and mellow out.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 18:18:50 »
i assure you you have no need to be concerned about my welfare or the other plotholders,just merely offloading in a place i trust as somewhere i can find likeminded people,i wasnt expecting to be judged!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal