Author Topic: A few birds!  (Read 2872 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
A few birds!
« on: December 23, 2009, 21:09:45 »

Taken yesterday in the cold and frost!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 21:13:11 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: A few birds!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 22:40:00 »
They are fun to watch at times in the back garden.  I am not too good at breed names but we get loads of different birds on a daily basis.  We have 5 separate bird feeding areas around the garden - 2 nut feeders,  1 seed feeder,  1 bird table, and last but not least... the ground ;D (some birds prefer to ground feed).  Always busy. 

Today was my first attempt at making seed fat-balls. I will tie them to the bird table tomorrow and see how they go; hopefully they won't fall apart after the first peck ::) ::)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 23:06:31 »
Lovely pictures, I find watching birds one of the best time wasters in my book.

We've had great tits, blue tits, robins (chasing off both of those), nuthatches (trying to bury sunflower seeds in any crack underneath the garden table!), a cheeky magpie, a daft pigeon still working out how to get down to the feeders, but this week but my favourites were a few longtailed tits yesterday and 3 coal tits today (only ever seen the latter one at a time) plus the ever present squirrel. Sparrows and blackbirds on the ground and the wren is still hiding out in the conifer by the pond. Who said the garden slept in winter?  :)

Ninny

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 23:11:01 »
Great photos Eric. I only get sparrows, blackbird, goldfinches, starling and collared doves. I usually go out early and put food on ground so that my blackbird can feed before the others wake up.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 20:45:00 »
Super pics of the FieldFare Eric.  I must try and attract them this winter. 

Merry Christmas to you and Ann.

Carol  x x

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 16:36:20 »
had Goldfinch,chafinch,greenfinch sparrow ,bluetit greatit, robin ,wren woodpidgen,blackbirds starlings,the magpies,jackdaw,rooks and crows and blackheaded gulls
sit on the roofs and mug the starlings for the scraps as they don't like to come too close to the house ! and for the first time I saw a songthrush with it's pale spotty front and all a few feet from my front window on a big houseing estate
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 18:07:58 »
Good pictures Eric.   :D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 22:43:24 »
Lovely pics :D. I put out peanuts in their shells for the squirrels....to keep them off the bird table....hah! Nope it dont work! Instead the magpies took the nuts (all of them) and the squirrels just went for everything else.

I put lots out in different places though, so the smaller birds did get something.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 15:28:33 »
Hi Eric. Great Pictures.

Just one question are the top 2 both of field fares? If not what bird is the middle picture of?

Seeing your pictures i am more and more convinced I have just seen at least one in the garden.

Thanks

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 17:44:44 »
Almost certainly Fieldfares. The last one is a female blackbird.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 15:22:11 »
Hi Eric. Great Pictures.

Just one question are the top 2 both of field fares? If not what bird is the middle picture of?

Seeing your pictures i am more and more convinced I have just seen at least one in the garden.

Thanks

Thanks Eric. Definitely got a couple of them in the garden then. Along with Redwings and at least one type of Thrush.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal