Author Topic: cheap non council plot grimsby area  (Read 3949 times)

ianlongbow

cheap non council plot grimsby area
« on: January 21, 2010, 15:47:01 »
anything considered. nothing going on landshare. out of work so musy be free or cheap. council plots are unaffordable

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: cheap non council plot grimsby area
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 15:54:28 »
hi ianlongbow and welcome to a4a,just to clarify as your post is a bit ambiguous,of course,could just me me...are you looking for a plot or offering one?  how much are council plots in your area
rach
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 19:00:07 »
From North East Lincolnshire Council:

The basic rate for a standard plot (300 square yards/250 square metres) for the calendar year 2010 is £76.46.  Tenants are entitled to a plot at the reduced rate of £43.07 if they are over 60 years of age, unemployed for more than 12 months, registered as disabled or in receipt of Invalidity Benefit, or a full time student.

Water is metered to each site and the charge distributed between all tenanted plots on that site.  The charge is normally less than £20 per year.

That is expensive.  £9.60/pole would top our survey by some margin.  Best of luck Ian, and welcome to A4A.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 20:31:14 »
As someone in grimsby there are no good cheap allotments in the area that i know of, i bit the bullet and am now on littlefiled lane allotments  :'(

ianlongbow

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:25:40 »
i'm after a plot. can't afford the council prices

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:02:35 »
I would not think that unless you got part of someone's garden and paid them in vegetables that any private landlord would be cheaper than the council.

Why don't you, if they have several plots vacant, go to them and tell them that you want one, are unemployed so couldn't find the money upfront.  Then when you get offered one and start growing food pay them as you go probably in 2 or 3 instalments?  You should, when you are eating the produce, manage to direct what you save to the rent! 

Good luck anyway!

Old Bird

;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:50 »
If the rent is £43 and the water less than £20 then that's hopefully hovering around £60 a year. Divided by 52 weeks it's around £1.20 a week? Sounds good to me.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 13:14:07 »
Ian, if you've been unemployed for a year you get a ten pole plot for £43 + £20 water, and that's not outrageous.  You also have the statutory right to pay quarterly, so that's £15.75 a quarter, so that's affordable, no?  It's possible the council will need reminding about the quarter-rent right, so speak up if you need help.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 13:31:58 »
Don't forget Freegle/Freecycle great place to pick up gubbins for the plot, also pallets can be liberated from many places-keep your eyes peeled. Seeds swaps happen here all the time and Wilkos do 3 packs for £1.50, lidl have them even cheaper. Tools from car boots-my lovely diddy fork (I'm 5'!) -lovely t-handle, well oiled through it's life-£3!!! It's do-able when you're broke-I've been there believe me! Also every one you know will be more than happy to dump old card, carpet etc for coverage purposes.
Have you considered going halfs with a friend or relative? We're gonna make this happen!!!!  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 14:19:27 »
You could even be cheeky and offer yourself on 'freecycle" !

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:57:36 »
They wouldn't take me when they came to collect.... :-X

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 10:19:56 »
They wouldn't take me when they came to collect.... :-X
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:30 »
I have had another thought about you and your unemployed status.  Why don't you see if there is the organisation (but I can't for the life of me remember their name) - but it is a place where you offer time and you are "paid" in groats or whatever name they call them.  So - for example - you help someone else in their garden and earn some "groats" you can exchange those "groats" for tools  seeds or something else within that community.

There are loads of these "community type organisations " throughout the country - but I can't remember the name.  Also - as  you have a computer - I presume you know about freecycle or freegle whereby you ask for tools/seeds so there is plenty for you to do if you have to pay an annual rent for your allotment - you should be able to get other things for free. 

You are lucky in that you have "time".  That is one of life's luxuries which when you are employed - is something we are short of.  Swings and roundabouts!!

Positives all the way!

Old Bird

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 11:51:49 »

There are loads of these "community type organisations " throughout the country - but I can't remember the name.  Also - as  you have a computer - I presume you know about freecycle or freegle whereby you ask for tools/seeds so there is plenty for you to do if you have to pay an annual rent for your allotment - you should be able to get other things for free. 

I think Time Exchange is what you're thinking of Old Bird ?  We have a good scheme like that locally. 

If you are on benefits you may be able to get a budgeting loan from the jobcentre to pay for the initial rent if you get no joy asking to pay quarterly.  Might be worth approaching an advice agency locally like CAB or welfare rights service to see if you may be entitled to any additional benefits - the rules change all the time.

The council rules look well out of date (you haven't been able to apply for Invalidy benefit since 1995 so I take it the rules written before then so might be worth checking if they're correct ?)

We have a community garden locally that runs a shared allotment - could there be something similar near you?  Could you offer to start a garden in an old people's home or similar - they often have land but nobody to tend to it.

Good luck! 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal