Author Topic: Red clover seeds, dare I use them?  (Read 1187 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Red clover seeds, dare I use them?
« on: December 08, 2009, 18:04:59 »
I friend of mine recently lost her grandmother and has passed onto me half a bag of rabbit food and a box of red clover that she suggested I grew for the rabbits (as that is what it was sold for).

I googled for the English name (box is French - trefle violet) and I got loads of sites suggesting how to remove it ???  I know I cannot plant it in the rabbit's run as it would not stand a chance.  Could I grow it in a container or is it likely to 'infect' my lawn when it seeds?

As much as I would like to use it there are enough 'unwanteds' in my garden without me adding more.  Any advice would be appreciated.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: Red clover seeds, dare I use them?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 18:10:52 »
red clover can also be used as a green manure  just grow it and dig it in to help fertility
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 19:07:33 »
if you have a square metre or so spare, grow it as a bee attractant, and you can cut it twice per yr as a bunny food or compost activator. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 19:26:37 »
Red Clover is sold as a green manure.  .  Interesting that it is sold for rabbits.  It is invasive?

Seems there is a difference between red clover which is pink and crimson clover.  I think I have bought the wrong one.  I have seen the crimson in fields round here and it is very attractive.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:55:58 »

If your rabbit eats the growth, and you pick off the flowers, it wont make any seed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal