Author Topic: Feeding chickens every other day.  (Read 3313 times)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Feeding chickens every other day.
« on: December 04, 2009, 22:14:51 »
Is it possible? Its becoming a chore going down everyday to feed and water 11 of them. Anyone know of a system?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Feeding chickens every other day.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 22:18:24 »
we have an automatic feder and waterer but someone still goes to make sure all's well and pick up the eggs, even christmas day  :-\

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 22:21:53 »
Assuming that you don't have to let them out every day - I lock mine in of an evening - you could give them food under cover in troughs. I have an old wendy house as a coop which has window boxes. I've put plastic guttering in these to fill the gaps and once full they hold a couple of days' worth of food.

One I fill with layers pellets and the other with wheat. I find the water doesn't need changing every day as it did in the summer too.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:40 »
Waters not a problem i've a big container. Problem is Robin if i put out 2 days of food they would eat it all that day. Whats this you've got Manics? Its never been a problem i've shared the chooks with a mate but he's packed in because he's working long hours.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:11:53 »
There are plenty of places that sell automatic feeders or you can make your own.
http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsResultsList1.asp?cat=3
Wether you should be leaving them on their own for 2 days at a time is another matter.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 14:57:00 »
we got ours from the feed shop, northener, like an upside down plastic bucket on a big saucer with a gap in it, holds 3 days worth for our 13, got another, smaller one they have to peck to get corn out but that was way expensive..they're both hung up from the bars under cover so, nothing can eat it but the chickens unless they throw any on the floor and leave it, hope you can get sorted  :)

marc555

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 16:29:11 »
You need to go down everyday to collect the eggs and make sure everything is ok, what if one takes ill and is suffering etc or a fox has got in maybe, also if you put out 2 days worth of food they should not eat it all in a day - is there a chance rats are getting in and eating the food at night?

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 17:04:13 »
if
Waters not a problem i've a big container. Problem is Robin[  i put out 2 days of food they would eat it all that day ]Whats this you've got Manics? Its never been a problem i've shar.ed the chooks with a mate but he's packed in because he's working long hours.

sounds like you`ve got got  gannets not chickens neil ;D ;D ;D
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 17:33:57 »
Have you got other friends who may like to share your chooks and feeding/visiting, or is there somewhere closer to home you could keep them. Chickens are great but not if they have become too much of a chore? Perhaps you could loan them to a friend for a bit.  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:20 »
just a thought but why not put an advert out of a free site like gumtree ( if you have that there) or the local garden centre, pet shop or vets asking if anyone wants to share with you, you can split the food bill, take it in turns to go down and whos day it is to go down gets the eggs for that day?
Hope this helps,
Jono

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 17:05:32 »
Interesting, cheers for the idea you've planted a seed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal