Author Topic: Especially for Emma Jane, witlof  (Read 1936 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Especially for Emma Jane, witlof
« on: October 27, 2004, 15:24:13 »
The second half of the witlof roots are dug up and will stay here for a week to 10 days. It's hard to see on the picture but there were some decent size roots. The little side roots and the leaves will get cut off before planting in containers to be forced.

I noticed at the other lotties that some had them dug up and laying on the soil while others are still in the soil. I guess any time you feel like it now, they can be dug up. Good luck.

The mess on the veggie bed they came out of are the discards to be taken to the compost heap. On the left and top left you can see chicken wire to keep the birds from digging up the aqua dulce broad beans.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Especially for Emma Jane, witlof
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 22:22:27 »
Thanks for posting that Ina, I plan to start digging mine this week.  As I have never grown these before, I am quite excited by it!  (easily pleased me!  ;))  Just wondered, will you be leaving your plants on the open ground like that until they are required or do you store them somewhere else?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 17:47:15 »
They have to lay on top of the soil for at least a week, then cut the leaves off and they are ready for forcing.
I read somewhere that if you don't want to start forcing all of them right away, you can keep the roots in the refridgerator, this way you can force a few at the time to have a continuous harvest.
Good luck.
Ina

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 20:17:35 »
Hi there,
I thought the leaves can be picked early as like lettuces. Do you only put one root per pot when forced? Is it one root only have one chicory? Will they grow more than one?
 ???

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 20:43:58 »
Leaves are bitter.
As big a container for as many roots as you like.
One chicon per root.

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 23:09:58 »
I have read in a previous communication about broad beans and mice eating the new shoots,  it sems we have to also protect against birds.  The terryfying thought is creeping over the horizon.....is it all worth it?  But I shall be there trying to find free bits of chicken wire.  Thanks for the warning.  Cheers, Tony. :-*

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 17:45:03 »
Witloof all dug and some of the roots are HUGE and some not so huge, but all great and thick and strong and just like parsnips!  I have brought them home to dry in the garden on my deck....my question is....do I cut all the leaves off now before laying them out in the garden, and does it matter if it rains on them, in otherwords, should they go into my shed really?  And lastly, am I understanding you correctly Ina that I can trim the thin ends from the roots, and any 'arms' off so they slide easily into a pot??

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 18:11:27 »
People generally lay them on top of the soil, rain doesn't seem to hurt them but if it rains all week I feel that may not be good. I have put half of mine on a covered balcony.

You leave the leaves on, after the drying period when you are ready to pot them up in moist soil or compost, cut them off to 1 cm from the root . Yes, you can cut the roots to uniform length and the side roots off.

If you don't want to pot them all up at the same time, I read that you can keep them in the fridge until needed. I'm going to try that with my second lot.

I'm so glad for you that you have good sized roots. Now the forcing part. Don't let the soil get too dry, a little water every now and then may be needed. Don't put them too warm or you'll get very loose chicons. When the inside of the container and cover got very wet with condensation, I have left the top off for a night to air but they need to stay dark. Good luck.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 12:40:25 »
Here are mine Ina, not terribly clear, but plenty to be going on with, especially as it is only me that eats them!  Going to pot my first lot up next week.  ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 07:36:49 »
Looking good EJ!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 12:47:28 »
I trimmed 6 roots today and they are now in a large pot, packed with compost, with another pot on the top and a plate on that to keep the light out.  I have put it in a corner in my conservatory over by the door.  Cool, and dark!  Fingers crossed.  How long before they would be ready to pick?  Not that I am impatient or anything....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal