Author Topic: Bicycles  (Read 6652 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Bicycles
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 16:46:19 »
Went to Oxford recently for a concert and the bikes were whirling round all over the place.    Nightmare.  They ride past on the inside when you are clearly indicating to turn left.  Whatever it is that the students are reading it is certainly not the highway code.

Lights on bikes- haven't seen many of those for years.  I like cyclists with lots of reflector strips on their clothes and flashing lights.  I have something a bit like some of the christmas decorations on peoples houses in mind.

Can you be drunk in charge of a bicycle?

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 16:53:06 »

Can you be drunk in charge of a bicycle?

Yes.
And you can be charged for it too. However, if I remember correctly, you are not obliged to take a breath test if you are on a bicycle.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 17:10:49 »
Also I reckon ALL pedestrians should have to pass an annual test of competence before they are allowed to cross roads or step off the pavement. AND they should carry lights.

How many years ago did people pass their driving tests, and do they think they would pass today ?

I also have lived in north London - Elstree. Used to cycle down the length of Edgware Road to Marble Arch (now there's a place to cycle around). Only occasionally would I pause in Kilburn some times at The thingy, sometimes at The Crown.

gardentg44

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:27 »

[Can you be drunk in charge of a bicycle?]

Yes.
And you can be charged for it too. However, if I remember correctly, you are not obliged to take a breath test if you are on a bicycle.
yes its called drunk in charge of a carrage
kes   A man with no money in is pocket at christmas is too idle to borrow.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 08:37:32 »
I believe that cyclists should have to pass a test before being allowed on the highway.  Pedestrians particularly joggers on the highway should be lit at night. 

But I also believe that drivers should have to pass tests every 10 years.  Cars have an annual MOT drivers need one at the same time.  Reaction times, eye sight etc.

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 15:39:30 »

yes its called drunk in charge of a carrage

If stopped by the police and asked to take a breath test, do you have to comply?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 15:46:20 »
certainly not!! you will instead be arrested, and taken to the nearest open police station, where you will again be asked to provide a specimen. ;)
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimedrinkdriving.htm
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 18:51:44 »

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:48 »
certainly not!! you will instead be arrested, and taken to the nearest open police station, where you will again be asked to provide a specimen. ;)
http://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/crimedrinkdriving.htm

But bicycles don't have motors.

Any person who is driving, attempting to drive, or in charge of a motor vehicle on the road, or in a public place (eg a pub car park or a garage forecourt)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 11:25:34 »
Copy pasted this from a cycling website so I don't know if it's 100% accurate :)

In law a bicycle is defined as a carriage for use on the highway but cyclists are not in charge of 'mechanically propelled' vehicles so, in law, do not have to adhere to exactly the same 'drink drive' rules as motorists.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs - that is to say - is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

'Road' in the above bit of legislation includes a bridleway so don't think you can get blotto at a country pub and ride home 'off road' without risk.

Phil G

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:05 »
So it seems that my original assumptions remain unchallenged - you CAN be done for riding a bike while intoxicated but, paradoxically, you aren't obliged to take a breath test.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11:54 »
Probably have to walk in a straight line and recite a tongue twister  :-\ :-\ :-\
The Tuscan Beaneater

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 15:14:47 »
So it seems that my original assumptions remain unchallenged - you CAN be done for riding a bike while intoxicated but, paradoxically, you aren't obliged to take a breath test.
you are not obliged  to give a breath test if you drunk in charge of any vehicle! but you'll be charged with failing to do so?
You couldn't make it up!

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 15:57:15 »
The reason why the police dont enforce  the lack of lights is one of enforcement. Its not easy trying to catch a yob on a bike as they streak off over pavements and down alleyways. Also if they catch them what will be the time involved in filling in forms etc and when it gets to court what will be the outcome? Hardly worth the bother as a deterrent.
I am not defending those breaking the law, far from it but just trying to be realistic. We have a limited number of police and in terms of priority I would rather see them chasing drunken drivers and uninsured drivers who threaten my health and safety rather than invisible cyclists who at worst are a nuisance.
While cyclists can kill it is so rare that they make national news when they do. If they are stupid enough not be lit up they are putting their own lives and health at risk and will have no comeback if hit. Car drivers meanwhile drive around in over a ton of metal and if they had no lights  the consequences would be much more severe so i cannot see how you can compare.
I am a car driver but driving is boring. I used to ride a bike and would still do if I could find a way of strapping a large dog to the back of a mountain bike - it was dog ownership that led to me stopping. You cannot beat the thrill of belting down a forest track at over 45mph and taking off.

I always rode with lights front and rear. The flashing red light is best for visibility at the back and i used  halogen bulbs.
Very few people are killed by cyclists carelessness or stupidity but many people are killed by motorists carelessness. Most cyclists deaths are due to the fault of the motorists and I think you have to keep things in perspective.
As a motorist you have to drive defensively but as a cyclist it is absolutely essential. I cannot ride to my allotment even though it is only 3 miles away. It is because I would have to ride down a stretch of trunk road that is derestricted , goes down a hill and round a bend and it is then narrow. Imagine if two trucks came towards each other and you were in front of one. Too many trucks to take the chance.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 16:18:00 »
I nearly killed one this afternoon.  He roded straight across a red light and straight across my path.  Just missed him, but only just.  Got a rude sign when I hooted.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal