Author Topic: Wiped out  (Read 2447 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Wiped out
« on: November 30, 2009, 16:07:50 »
Don't ask how it got in, the only thing I can think it can be was a windows update, although that does seem very unlikely. But I had 'blaster keywhatever' get into my laptop and run riot with the workings. It started witha warning from a 'security centre' gizmo that told me my credit card details were being copied and then said it would get rid of the malware if I paid so much money. I had heard of this one before. It is another scam but it plays havoc with your pc.

I tried to wipe it off, I even downloaded a package that said it would do it, but the virus programme blocked everything. So I ended up getting the recovery disc out to sort things.   NO I DID NOT because I never bothered to make one. Done a bit of F8ing and eventually reconfigured the laptop back to how it was when it was new.   Great got rid of it, not soo great got rid of everything else. Photos, music, favorites, every programe I had loaded on it. Now I have to start all over again. Lesson for everybody.  Make that backup disc and keep it up to date. I am now going to have hours of fun getting it back to rights.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Wiped out
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 16:42:36 »
 ::) ::) ::)

Same old story - no back ups
The Tuscan Beaneater

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 17:11:15 »
Were you running anti virus ACE?

Feel for you mate!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 17:26:21 »
It's a shame you didn't post here first. I'm pretty certain I could have told you how to remove it without losing data. In fact, I think I've posted instructions here before.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 18:01:28 »
Were you running anti virus ACE?

Feel for you mate!

I have run avast for years with no problems, I am still trying to work out how it got in. Like I say it was a windows patch that was supposed to be coming through. Unless the cunning sods have disguised it as such.

It's a shame you didn't post here first. I'm pretty certain I could have told you how to remove it without losing data. In fact, I think I've posted instructions here before.

Thanks for that but it blocked off the task manager, so I could not delete or add a fix and it kept shutting down every 3 minutes.  Still it is nice to have a fresh clean machine again, also not really as bad as I have painted. All my music is on my iPod so it will sinc back on, photos are also on a card in a digiframe. Mainly it is trying to remember all the passwords to different sites and getting my emails working again.

I was due to start building our website today. But we will download the templates tomorrow and like I say 'start afresh'

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 18:31:10 »
There are plenty of free tools which will restore access to task manager, regedit, cmd etc... with a couple of clicks which saves time restoring them manually.
A few examples would be:
Re-Enable Portable
Regain Power
Virus Effects Remover

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 18:59:12 »
Cool tools Baccy Man and ta for posting.

ACE - you can console yerself that reinstalling feels like having a new PC (for a while!)..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal