Author Topic: Gherkins!  (Read 3763 times)

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
Gherkins!
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:00:31 »
Im a big fan of pickled gherkins! A stupid question follows...forgive me! Are gherkins just juvenile cucumbers or are they a separate 'species'??? Any info gratefully received (varieties etc) as i want to try and grow some to pickle next year!!! ;D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Gherkins!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:33:44 »
Ohhhhhh, I'd like to try that too, the small ones that are a little bigger than my pinkie and pickled.
Hope somebody knows and posts.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:39:48 »
Jerry - yes, but a special variety that produces masses of them. You wouldn't sacrifice your actual cus for the process! And they would probably be too soggy, anyway.

Varieties? I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference when they are pickled? = Tim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 12:59:30 »
Jerry,

I agree with Tim, most calatogues just have one variety called Gherkin - I grew  Kings this year and they did well, but need picking regularly or they grow to quite a size (and wouldn't fit in the jar)

Phil

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 14:23:20 »
Fantastic! Thanks for that, one packet of 'Gherkin' Gherkin on order for next year!!!!  ;D ;D

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 15:52:04 »
 I have grown and pickled these but it is quite some time since.They can be pickled whole or sliced lengthways or in rounds.As far as i can remember they are a faff to do needing steeping in brine for about a week.But as any gherkin fancier will tell you well worth the effort.Do try Picklenet.com for the recipe.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 18:17:20 »
Hi Jerry

The 2005 Organic Gardening Catalogue lists 2 varieties of Gherkins available: Vert Petit de Paris and Stimora Mix F1, both organic.  Happy pickling :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 18:17:43 by Jill »

Bannerdown

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 10:50:51 »
Ridge cucumbers is what you are looking for.  They grow along the ground like a small pumpkin, not trained vertically as 'normal' cuc's.  Cheers, Tony. ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:27:18 »
Bannerdown,

Cucumbers (including ridge cucumbers) are cucumbers, gherkins are gherkins

Whilst you can pickle small cucumbers, they are not gherkins

Phil

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 15:46:07 »
Both gherkins and ridge cucumbers are selections of Cucumis sativus (melons are Cucumis melo as illustration of just how close they are) . Gherkins are simply cultivars selected for their firmer flesh which, as Tim suggests, do not go as soggy in brine as regular cucumbers. I did buy a jar of Polish gherkins this year, just to find out if there was a difference between gherkins and 'pickles', and they were so soggy that they can only have been pickled regular cucumbers.
If you want to expand your choices, and can get past any possible aversion to buying abroad, google 'Pickles'. This is the U.S. term for gherkins and there are literally hundreds of varieties available over here.
From google:- B. and T. World seeds in France carry the U.S. heirloom pickle 'National'

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 16:33:46 »
John,

Thanks for the erudite version of what I said and Tim had said earlier.

JerryB asked for gherkins to pickle ergo he wants gherkins as sold not cucumbers

Phil

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 18:48:52 »
Oops, my apparent repeating of your and Tim's posts was due to my missing something out: because both are selections of the same specie, gherkins/pickles can also be eaten out of hand. Over here they are also called 'Kirby' (not sure why they got that name) cucumbers or salad cucumbers. I certainly prefer to munch on them over ridge types as I consider them to have more flavour and crispness.

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 07:35:04 »
Talking of picklin... I can't find malt vineger here in Holland, can I use white wine vinegar and add something to it instead ?

-B_B-
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 07:35:43 by Beer_Belly »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 08:40:11 »
BB,

I've just been looking into the pickling thing to get info on pickling shallots.

Apparently all of the vinegars, malt, wine, cider etc can be used, all having a slightly differnet taste.

The secret ingredietnt is pickling spice which appear to comprise almost any combination of pepper, chilis, bay leaf, allspice, and mustard - all whole not ground

Google for pickling spice for more

Phil

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 01:52:26 »
Over here dill flowers and garlic are commonly added to pickles as additional flavouring. Large fruit (those missed when small) are commonly used as 'bread and butter' pickles. I think this use was invented as they are not considered suitable for dill pickles. Conveniently they are sliced before pickling and, with their ideal diameter being the same as a burger roll, are added, one slice at a time, to burgers (er, not sure what they are called in the U.K.- I mean Big Macs and their ilk!).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 01:54:11 by john_miller »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 09:40:18 »
John,

The polite word is burger, there are others!!!!

Phil

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 16:26:54 »
 :oWonder why the word rubbish sprung straight into my mind at this moment . :D :D :D
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal