Author Topic: composting question WARNING not for the squeamish!  (Read 1216 times)

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
composting question WARNING not for the squeamish!
« on: November 28, 2009, 15:25:03 »
Last Sunday I picked up some roadkill in the form of a pheasant. It was obviously freshly killed as it was still warm! The only damage was a blow to the head, so I think it had been killed outright. I took it home with me and hung it in the shed. Today I've plucked it and taken out the innards. The head, neck and innards are going in the dustbin (well wrapped!), but I was wondering about the feathers. Would they be suitable to put in the compost bin, or would it be better to put these in the dustbin as well? (I've got the dalek kind of compost bins if it makes a difference!)
Many thanks
Kitty Katt

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: composting question WARNING not for the squeamish!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 16:27:15 »
Personally I add all the leftover bits of fish or game to the compost heap including heads, necks, innards, feathers, skin, fur, bones, carcasses etc... it's all organic matter & is therefore perfectly compostable. As long as it is buried in the pile not just dumped on top it does not produce unpleasant odours or attract vermin in my experience.

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 17:31:36 »
Thank you Baccy man. The risk of attracting rats was my main concern!
Kitty Katt

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:16:46 »
I break an awful lot of `rules` when composting.  A good bin will deal with stuff--and bones go on the open fires here during the colder monthes.

Rats and mice will visit bins at times for food and warmth-how one deals with that is a matter of choice.

Feathers should be no problem

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 19:35:48 »
Feathers will rot, and are a good, slow, source of nitrogen.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal