Author Topic: No Dig Raised Beds without Wood Frames  (Read 5967 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
No Dig Raised Beds without Wood Frames
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:04:33 »
The town library has a no-dig book with a picture of raised beds made with no wood.
I'd never seen this method. They used wire fencing to make the walls fastening it to wood stakes in the corners, the only place wood was used. Next they lined it completely with cardboard, both floor and up all four sides to hold the dirt, leaves and compost in.  Has anyone ever tried this method?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
Re: No Dig Raised Beds without Wood Frames
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:52:05 »
I have put cardboard on the base of my beds after reading about it on here.

The only problem I can see with putting it up the sides is it will rot and no longer contain the soil. :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:23:09 »
they are either for a single season use, or they are hoping that the compost will bind itself together
was this for a very high-rainfall area?if so, they nay have been after good drainage?
you can have no-dig without frames,
http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/forum
but I never seen ones made from wire.
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:29:09 »
Why not line the sides of the raised beds with plastic sheeting of some kind to suit, it will have a longer life than cardboard and will also protect the wiremesh from rotting, :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:54:14 »
I made a compost bin with four pallets and lined it with thick cardboard round the sides to hold the waste materials in. .  I am just emptying it and the cardboard is still there.   I grew some squash on top which did very well.  Sort of a high rise bed.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 14:02:35 »
I don't put anything round mine.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 19:42:18 »
That's a nice example Froglegs.  I've just got the one raised bed for the asparagus and it's just like that.

IMHO raised beds in wooden frames have been popularised by TV gardeners to the extent that many new gardeners assume it's the only way to grow.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:43 »
Why make work for your self i can think of better things to be getting on with  other than making sides for raised bed,it cost nothing this way more to spend on seeds,but most important for me my 30 beds are not permanent so if i  wont to change the layout all i have to do is move the paths,plus i can not see that it makes any difference whether you have them or not.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 10:41:36 »
I have found the traditional raised beds with wooden surrounds a great asset.

I have used all sorts of surrounds......old greenhouse base,breeze blocks,bricks...........you name it.Wood is by far the best.

Geoff Hamilton to my knowledge started it all off and to my mind if it was OK with Geoff it was OK with me.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 13:10:13 »
I should have known this thread would start the old war about dig vrs no dig beds ::)

I'm interested in them because we get driving hard rains that could take the paint off a car and will wash away good topsoil, mulch, you name it. The wood frame prevents that. I know the cardboard walls would only last a season but think it worth a try?

So, back to the wire frame idea...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 19:38:42 »
There's no reason at all why you can't do no dig without frames. They're really different things, and I'm not sure why they've become so linked. No dig is the same whether you combine it with raised beds or not. Raised beds are a tool you use if you have waterlogging, and need to improve drainage. I'm not convinced they have any real use apart from that.

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 19:44:36 »
robert but have try them if so please out line how you did the comparisons

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 09:26:58 »
I don't see a problem with that idea other than you would have to bend the wire over carefully otherwise you might get caught up in it / scratch yourself. Plus it would mean less places for slugs to hide. Interesting idea

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 10:31:34 »
I don't see a problem with that idea other than you would have to bend the wire over carefully otherwise you might get caught up in it / scratch yourself. Plus it would mean less places for slugs to hide. Interesting idea
The picture actually showed the type wire fencing that comes in flat pieces to shove in the ground that fit together, some folks use it as decorative border fencing. I don't think it is tight enough to even keep a grown rabbit out. We have some leftover chicken wire fencing I'd thought to use instead.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:13 »
I see what you mean now  :D

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:52:35 »
i have raised beds no wood no wire  i just slope the sides of  my soil to stop it falling on to my paths they are about 18 inches high
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 12:28:28 »
Raised beds are a tool you use if you have waterlogging, and need to improve drainage. I'm not convinced they have any real use apart from that.
Betula might be right about Geoff Hamilton starting the trend - was it his artisan's garden?  If it was then the raised beds were essentially esthetic, which is perfectly valid, but I wonder that this has been conflated with the drainage, deep mulch, and no-dig ideas and that the new generation of allotmenteers are simply emulating what they've seen without appreciating the principles, and so making life harder for themselves than it needs to be.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 12:41:49 »
Raised beds make life easier for me and I have had better crops since using them.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 12:43:54 »
Every allotment is different and while I am happy to look at the ideas that come along I find the golden rule is do what works for you.

We have such a problem with water on our allotmen that containing the bed has been the only answer,believe me I have tried the easier ways.

I am not sure if what you say is correct about Geoff's original use of raised beds but I will check it out later.If I can be bothered.

mrestofus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 15:38:16 »
bettula I do not believe wood framed bed were introduce by Hamilton. Since I have seen references to them , that are much older. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal