Author Topic: what are your growing next yr  (Read 4733 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
what are your growing next yr
« on: November 27, 2009, 15:35:26 »
next season will be my first attempt at growing giants
i have just created a 1200 sq ft patch and will be growing two plants my seeds selection so far is going to be a 1457 paton 2008 x 1452 Ghaye 2009
i have been donated these seeds from ian paton and his brother stu paton and the other off jos Ghaye so i am hopeing to grow a giant  in 2010
what ever you grow good luck all best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
Re: what are your growing next yr
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 16:36:25 »
Well as ive never grown pumpkins before, and lots of people go berserk-
for pumpkin soup. Including my daughter.
I purchased ghostrider from exhibition seeds for Halloween and culinary use.
Which i may had havent arrived has yet..... >:( >:(

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 17:16:49 »
Atlantic Giant for a biggie, Becky for an edible lantern, Rouge vif d'Etampes for decoration and Hooligan for a small eater.... If I take on an extra half-plot that I've been offered (to put a polytunnel on a big chunk of it) then I'll increase the squash/pumpkin patch to two blocks of a seven-block rotation as opposed to one block in a six-block (though it will get the sweetcorn in with it instead of them being with the potatoes).... it will let me grow more plants and I might increase the variety list, though I've got a lot of squashes on that list  now...

chrisc

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 18:01:55 »
Hi there.
I havent posted for a while but I`m planning on a 1288 Wallace which is a
1385 Jutras x 1207 young.
This grew the 1658 Young this year.

Not sure what else at the moment. We`ll see after the seed auctions

Pete

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 14:02:56 »
nice seeds mate 1385 and 1207 seems to be alot of 1207s seeing dirt this next season  good luck and grow em big don young is sort of acting as a bit of a mentor to me this season im waiting for my egvga seed pack coming and also john van hook has posted me a seed pack so i better get a bigger letterbox  all the best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 14:31:17 »
I grew some atlantic giants this year, but the room they took up was too much. We used 1/3 of a plot for 2 plants. Think I may stick to a few edibles this year with possibly some jack o lanteens. Am going to grow potimarron in the main. Always fancied growing a really big one, but don't want to use my whole plot doing it!

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 14:50:16 »
yes space can be a problem you need approx 400 sq ft per plant really to look after giants and i would say thats minimum space im giving 1000sq ft to 2 plants and 400 sq ft for my pollinator plant

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 17:20:31 »
Hey Mal. Good luck this year. I saw your diary on BP.com.
Got my eye on a couple of lots in the EGVGA auction but the best ones are goin for silly money. You should get some good seeds in the seed pack which will make your job of picking even harder.
I`m also a memebr of the GVGO in Canada. Their seed pack is awesome. Check out the website.. www.gvgo.ca

Good luck

Pete

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 14:34:08 »
hi pete nice to know others are growing giants as well yes bigpumpkin.com is a really good site everything you need to know is there and a great bunch of people also.
i wont be buying any seeds this year as i have plenty now but good look with the egvga seed auction it finishes tonight
and im looking forward to getting me seed packet from them im just about decided on my selction this year im growing ians 1457 and jos's 1452 and maybe john van hooks 1145.5 or 696
good luck this coming season mate grow em big and maybe pop in to chat on bp.com and say hi  im in there most days  atb mal

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 22:45:59 »
I bought some very small 50p packets of Big Max and Rouge vif d'etampes from moreveg.com - not for the size of the pumpkins but for the size of the seeds I might harvest.

I also couldn't resist Musquee de provence and Kakai @ 50p - great source for trials!

I also have flavour hopes for the flesh of the french and asian-sounding ones - not so much for the american-sounding one.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:14 »
this year am going to try turks turban and hudred weight for the kids halloween.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:58:48 »
Etampes and Musquee are good eating Vinlander, both on my must grow list with Crown Prince.. and several others...  ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:29:17 »
this year am going to try turks turban and hudred weight for the kids halloween.

Despite some opinions to the contrary turks turban taste good (especially fresh grated) and so do the seeds which are a good size for shelling and eating. Also the baby fruits are delicious sliced and battered as fritters, and the big ones will grow just big enough for you to wear one on your head for halloween costume!
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Vinlander

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 19:37:24 »
Update on my Moreveg order:

All the seeds were good except the 3 cheap Musquee de provence seeds arrived with one good, one bad, one ugly (but probably OK). The bad one was entirely empty, but I mentioned it to them and they very kindly sent me 3 more!

I've had empty squash seeds from just about every seed supplier in the country - so I know how hard it is to exclude them.

Full marks to moreveg - an excellent opportunity for the amateur to trial a wider range of veg...

Cheers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal