Author Topic: advice wanted about Charlie our dog please  (Read 2803 times)

debster

• Hectare
advice wanted about Charlie our dog please
« on: November 27, 2009, 14:22:52 »
He is thought to be about 2 1/2 we have had him since april as a rescue he was a stray.
He is the most adorable dog you could ever imagine, about 5 weeks ago he sprained his right wrist, was given anti inflammatories and despite being unable to complete the course due to side effects all has cleared up well.
yesterday we noticed he was limping again but on his left foot this time (both front legs by the way) took him to the vet today. He is always worse on getting up out of bed and it seems to ease on walking
vet has decided to treat as an acute injury this time as it is the other foot and because the other one responded well.

however he thinks it could be something more chronic, possibly arthritis. does anyone have any experience of such a condition in such a young active dog, what sort of treatments are available and how would it affect his excercise tolerance etc.

hubby being the cynic he is wondered if this is why his previous owners didnt collect him from the pound!

any ideas how it would affect insurance if it were to be arthritis the fact that he had been treated by the vet twice before for sprained wrists?

betula

• Hectare
Re: advice wanted about Charlie our dog please
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 14:42:38 »
No experience of it in a younger dog.

It will undoubtedly knock up your insurance,I would ring around the the best deal that is if the next time around they will agree to take on pre existing conditions.

I would discus the fact that the vet has misdiagnosed with the vets themselves and see if you can get your bill discounted.

You can buy chews that are for arthritic dogs that do help.

Good luck.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 19:38:17 »
No experience with arthritis in a young dog. Elsa (King Charles Cavalier) was suffering very badly from arthritis my vet put her on Carprodyl tablets. quite expensive from the vet. I then bought them over the internet (had to get prescription from vet) She was still suffering very badly, at times had trouble getting up, and was in a lot of pain. My daughter then decided to buy her some Pedigree joint care sticks, brilliant results, she no longer limps. She often goes to kennels and the kennel maids have remarked how much brighter she is in herself since I stopped the tablets. Just food for thought Debster if it does turn out to be arthritis.
Hope he soon gets sorted.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 18:52:27 »
my namesake our choccy lab has arthritis in every joint, he was born with it ,we had pills and potions  from the vet  but they just saw him as a money maker.One day we took him to this old hillbilly fella nearby and he told us about greenleaf tablets and garlic pills . I dont know what they do but he runs about well and has no trouble with stairs and jumps on the sofa no probs. we tried him with joint care but the bloke said we should put him down .he was only 18 mth at the time that was 2yrs ago he's  still going great guns ,It might sound a bit cranky but what about bioflow magnets they get a good write up  .GOOD LUCK :)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 18:54:18 »
AS YOU CAN SEE HE IS SMILING IN THE PHOTO WITH HIS OTHER BUDDIES THE ROTTIES

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 19:02:24 »
yep garlic in his food

i feed it my dog Charlie  twice a week keeps him tip top
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 19:55:48 »
our staffie has probs with her knee joints, we get her bob martins vitachews, sorted it, no problem  ;D

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 14:44:44 »
garlic also good for keepin fleas away ,thats why we grow so much l suppose. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal