Author Topic: Peas in Pots  (Read 1622 times)

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
Peas in Pots
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:43:50 »
You might have seen "Half-Pint" which is a pea plant only 12" tall, suggested for growing in a pot e.g. on a windowsill.  

Do peas need to be outside for at least a while to germinate?  I would have thought so.  Do you agree?

Thank you    

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
Re:Peas in Pots
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:46:23 »
Did I say "germinate"?  D'oh, I meant "be pollinated".

eek.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 12:54:54 »
Peas have perfect flowers, this is a technical term meaning that all the bits necessary for pollination is contained within one flower.

To make sure the pollen gets to the right bits, just j.j.j.jiggle them a bit - as Arkwright would say

Phil

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 15:27:24 »
You need to do a little more than j,j,j,jiggle pea flowers to pollinate them. They (and most other legumes) have evolved a mechanism that requires the keel (the lower lip) of the flower to be depressed (this would of course be done by a visiting insect outdoors) to force the stigma through the anthers to effect pollination. As Hugh pointed out when I mentioned this, concerning broad beans, it could be a very laborious process trying to replicate this action by hand! Hopefully a 'half-pint' pea doesn't have a lot of flowers.
Who is Arkwright?

PakChoi

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 16:15:34 »
Oh, definitely outside then.

I mentioned this variety because it is being given away free with orders from Simply Vegetables (Plants of Distinction).  Haven't used them before but was browsing their catalogue.

I grow other peas too but this one looks quite pretty as a patio-type plant.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 16:39:26 »
John,

Arkwright (Ronnie Barker) is the main character in a TV sitcom based in a northern shop - Open at all Hours. He has a stutter hence on one occasion he was heard to say that "all you have to do do is j-j-j-jiggle it about a bit"

Phil

I applied the principle to the manual polination of peas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal