Author Topic: broccoli now  (Read 874 times)

pieman

• Not So New ...
broccoli now
« on: November 22, 2009, 15:51:16 »
Hi - sorry if this has already been asked.

I planted a mix of purple sprouting broccoli and some "normal" brocolli (like the stuff usually in the shops - don't know what it's called though) seedlings into the allotment in early september, with the hope it would be ready next spring.

The purple sprouting one seems to be going to plan - leafy but nothing more, while the "normal" broccoli is ready for harvest! Lovely big heads on quite a few of the plants, but many more have little heads that are probably going to get ruined if it does suddenly get cold.

Was I right to plant the "normal" broccoli when I did? Is it simply the very mild weather that's brought them forward? Will plants that have their heads harvested now be useful in the spring? And what is the proper name for this broccoli anyway??

Any help much appreciated.

David

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: broccoli now
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 16:08:43 »
Was I right to plant the "normal" broccoli when I did?

Depends upon what you mean 'normal'? There are varities that are suitable for late season growing! e.g. Marathon

Is it simply the very mild weather that's brought them forward?

If you have sown the 'late type' it would have happened in any case, but I have to say the 'mild weather' helps!

Will plants that have their heads harvested now be useful in the spring?

No!

And what is the proper name for this broccoli anyway??

My guess it is a variety of Calabrese!

But your purple sprouting can remain as it will produce in the spring when the weather starts warming up!

pieman

• Not So New ...
Re: broccoli now
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 20:30:41 »
Thanks Tee Gee. Bit rubbish that I don't know the variety, but Calabrese rings a bell.

Thanks again

D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal