Author Topic: Brussel sprout recommendation please?  (Read 5577 times)

steve76

• Acre
Re: Brussel sprout recommendation please?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 13:39:06 »
Wish i had seen this one earlyer just been and got a pact of evesham specials was told they were good ???
Last year i grew seven-hills ok but small sprouts and red rubine all blew

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 14:34:52 »
last year i grew LONG ISLAND IMPROVED  this was not a f1,,,they all blew!!  result    if  you
 dont grow the  F 1 ?  then dont expect any sprouts.  luckly i only planted 2 plants. try the following and it works  for me
dig a trench fill with manure, a few good hand fuls of growmore, on top , back fill trench, firm down with a plank,
dig holes  30" apart, add lime to hole, plant sprout plant, firm in with fingers add slug pellets round hole
and  net up  KEEP WELL WATERED
i use WELLINGTON F1   FROM KINGS SEEDS  £2.20  FOR 60 SEEDS

JIMTHEWORZEL

TISH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 14:52:28 »
I have similar soil and grew noisette and red rubin, the noisette were beautiful but all the red rubin blew...will try red rubin again this year with extra care to firming them in as they are supposed to be tasty. But can recommend Noisette without hesitation.
Thanks

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 16:59:34 »
in 2009, I grew Maximus, which is the recommended, by Kings Seeds, as the replacement for Peer Gynt, crops up to Xmas and Seven hills which crops after Xmas. best crop we have had for quite a few years. I grow them on undug soil that I manured the previous year. planted in seed bed 23/04 and transplanted on to allotment17/06

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal