Author Topic: Acorns to compost  (Read 6376 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
Acorns to compost
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:09:54 »
There is a very large oak tree at the bottom of my neighbours garden which over hangs my garden. Can i put the acorns on the compost  bins? there are thousands of them :'( :'(

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
Re: Acorns to compost
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:09 »
You might get lots more little oak tree!  Just guessing!  Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:01:37 »
I think that Gwynnethmary is probably right,  I'd leave them for the wildlife to eat!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 09:08:57 »
I shall have to sweep and pick them up all the wild life is doing is digging holes every where and burring them wretched squirrels  >:( >:(

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:44 »
I am in the same situation, last year was a huge bumper year for acorns and i never got round to clearing them up. but by mid spring i was hard pressed to find any and very few germinated (i think the harder winter killed off the exposed acorns, there was also a family of 3 squirrels in the garden and lots of jays an approx family of 6 to 8 all winter into spring) in the vicinity for the first time.

this autumn is another bumper year, the jays are back (not as large numbers as i can tell), and the squirrel numbers are down to one i think (2 died in my water butts in the early spring - eeewww! what a pong!!! :-X).

with the milder autumn i would say there has been at least a 75% germination rate thus far (all over the garden, regardless of soil or not) and as such i don't think there will be much lying around for he critters all winter at this rate. i am though removing them from vege beds they have fallen into, to reduce spring time weeding of your tree seedlings.

my neighbour generally bags them up and disposes of them I'm was too lazy last year and they all but disappeared on their own so I'm not doing nought this year as well.

my compost bin is of the timber sort and is covered, if any do get into the bin they generally don't germinate. if they do they soon die due to lack of light, as do most things that germinate in my bin.

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:36:51 »
I have a friend who religiously collects up all her acorns she has given me 4 feed sacks full to take down to my daughter in North Devon for her pigs. I'm too lazy to pick mine up. Bought her 3 fruit trees from Homebase for £9.99 each what with the 4 sacks of acorns and fruit trees there wont be any room for me. let alone my luggage :o :o

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 22:18:35 »
Acorns will compost if you smash them first - a single blow with a lump hammer will do it.

You could try baking them in embers to kill them - but stand clear - some might burst.

You can also eat them yourself if you leach them properly (Ray Mears' stuff) I've never done it - you really need a stream to do it easily, but properly processed they are supposed to be delicious.

The Germans used to roast them for ersatz coffee during WW2 - apparently not very nice. I've never understood why they didn't roast dandelion root - it's excellent!

Acorn-fed pigs sell at a premium because the flesh tastes better.

Anything is better than leaving them out if you live in a grey squirrel area - they should never be encouraged - they are a nightmare.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:38:24 »
Would they shred do you think or would they just go straight through ??
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 23:41:49 »
I'm sure a shredder would find acorns easier to smash than branches - but you're right - the blades might only hit one in 10.

The only way to find out is to try - but don't stand in front of the feeder hole - they might come back at you with some speed.

A better mechanism would be a mangle - but I haven't seen one in years - a pity because I could really use one for juicing grapes without crushing the pips!

The classic low-tech nut-smasher involves launching a heavy beam into a heavy pot, but a long piece of 10x10cm timber and a ring of bricks on hard standing would work just as well.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:07 »
Maybe put them in a burlap bag and run over with your car tires.  Works with black walnuts.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal