Author Topic: raised beds  (Read 7704 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: raised beds
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 20:41:50 »
this is what ours was like 3 months in 12 before trenches at the back and raised beds  ;D

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 22:08:48 »
Oh my god you've got your work cut out. Have you finished them? or is it on going

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 22:10:22 »
fourth year, just getting them sorted, polytunnel floor still gets 4" of water in sometimes, luckily, the beds are 8" deep  :)

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 22:19:40 »
Sorry manicscouser just reread your post from the other day and viewed the photo you certainly had your work cut out but glad you are up and running. why so much water ? is it just rain or do you have underlaying problems ?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 07:31:21 »
My plot came third.

I lost points on successional sowing ie lettuces at different stages of growth. The problem is that my family go to the South of France for two months in the Summer and I grow stuff for cropping before and after that period, altough some things such as Runner Beans and Courgettes just keep coming!

Next year I shall do it differently and throw the unwanted stuff on the compost heap or give it away.

I can't help noticing that more and more plots on my site are installing 'raised beds' but all they are doing is laying rectangles of timber down and using them as borders.

It is important to sink the timber into the ground and use the soil from the surrounding paths to raise the level and increase the depth of topsoil - unless you have acccess to tons of topsoil to fill the beds.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/Raised_bed_building.html

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:38 »
aggie, it's very heavy clay and it was the only piece of land available, still, getting some good crops now, never have to worry about drying out  ;D

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 10:00:51 »
Well done allaboutliverpool  Third that no mean fete.Keep it going. That's what i like about A4A you get so much info good and bad.and yours is all good. ;) Gives us all inspiration. :D

manicscousers
Very heavy clay, must have been a nightmare to work with but I' glad all the hard work is paying off now.  8) Raised beds certainly seem to be the way forward.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:29 »
aggie, it's very heavy clay and it was the only piece of land available, still, getting some good crops now, never have to worry about drying out  ;D
Manicx,  I imagine your bodies must have finely defined  muscled abs, deltoids and glutius maximuses  by now looking at all the earth, lumber, bricks you've moved.  What a brilliant project seeing the before and after product and glad to hear you are getting satisfying crops from it. Thank you for posting some inspiration.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 10:51:48 »
My plot came third.

I lost points on successional sowing ie lettuces

All I could think was, "oh, good grief" at only getting a third place for your wonderful plot.  I look at your inspirational videos whenever I need a push to get out and fix things on my piddly little deformed raised beds. Your latest video is incredible!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal