Author Topic: GREEN SOIL WHY ?  (Read 2611 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
GREEN SOIL WHY ?
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:31:48 »
Having recently dug over part of our plot i have noticed the soil has turned green in patches .can anyone tell me why and what i can do about it please. :(

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: GREEN SOIL WHY ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:40:03 »
It's difficult to be sure without seeing it but I suspect it is likely to be some kind of algae which will disappear when the soil dries out.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:29:11 »
It's difficult to be sure without seeing it but I suspect it is likely to be some kind of algae which will disappear when the soil dries out.

that is exactly what popped into my head when i read the post, is the soil very wet or recently waterlogged?

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:47 »
Possibly also very acidic.
The sort of situation I usually see this sort of thing is where it is shady, damp and acidic soil - with little organic matter that will open up the soil and let in air.
Normally on bare soil weed seeds will germinate and while they are a pain they are sympton of a soil that is good for plant growth.
When I was looking at my possible allottment site I went for one where the nettles were 6 foot high. They indicated that the soil was in good heart.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:01 »
The ground is quite wet but i wouldnt say waterlogged ,it was used for spuds early on if that makes a difference.I have asked a few of the old chaps if theres is the same but they werent too helpful ,because as soon as they harvest they put mushroom compost on .I thought maybe the soil was lacking in something or overloaded with something else .ta for help.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:20 »
Ah Well it is just all the wet we have been having recently, just like a thin green film, usually where puddles have been. i get it where there has been standing water for a day or two. That will disappear as the soil dries.
I get it cause I am on clay. I am getting in some manure to open up the surface soil and am trying to drop the water table - I am digging a ditch down one side - I am on a private allotment so i have the space to do it.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 04:32:55 »
I'd suggest that it indicates that the site is prone to flood... if the algae come up that fast on standing water (the fact that you have standing water on soil is a giveaway too)..... dig a ditch but be prepared to raise the beds too, and probably with a deep raised one too... with gravel in the bottom but above the local soil level.....

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:19 »
I have only ever found it on wet and shaded soil   :)

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:20:26 »
I wouldn't have thought there's enough sun about at the moment for algae to grow.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 16:20:46 »
Mine often goes green mossy type, this time of year usually in between the Jap onions, I just turn it over it soon disappears.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 17:08:14 »
I had a large patch of rather evil smelling green slimey stuff.  Was told later that that part of the plot has been under water.  Everyone else refused my allotment because if it.

I dug holes through it to increase drainage.  Grew cougettes in it - they did not seem to mind.  Soil was rather compacted just below the surface.  Will be interesting to see if it returns again this winter. 

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 23:06:57 »
I am getting it at the bottom of my plot. I did not realise it was as bad as that because before there was a lot of vegetation. That has been cleared and there is now a polytunnel nearby. I am digging a 3 to 4 foot ditch droppimg down to the corner over a distance of about 90 feet. They do say cardiac exercise is good for you - well that is what the cardiac nurses told me after I had my bypass. As it was too wet and sticky today I went in the polytunnel and for a break continued double digging the border.
The tomatoes and cucs had better be good next year after the blood I have sweated!
But green slime means drainage could be better. Away from the bottom I don't get green slime and that is on clay.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 08:41:08 »
Thanx for all your help ,just thought i better mention that our plot is on top of a hill and quite exposed .I wouldnt have thought flooding was a problem but we are on clay .There isnt any shade up there either thats why this is such a puzzle .Once again many thanx.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 13:46:48 »
My plot doesn't get flooded either Woody ( he says as its piddling down again) but I do get this green moss type on the surface, not slimey or smelly though.  :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 14:41:09 »
I've got mushrooms or toadstools growing out of the wood chip the Council supplied.  Not going to risk eating them, probably be more after all this rain, but no green soil.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 16:15:59 »
Undisturbed soil always goes green (obviously there are exceptions) in my experience, and it only takes a bit of raking, or scratching around with a three pronged thing, to clear it.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 16:39:01 »
I'd call green soil 'sour', too acidic.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 17:32:37 »
what can i do about acidic soil?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 19:54:36 »
Lime it. Do a pH test first.

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:22 »
my plot is on clay and this time of year does get a little green in places - like a fine moss.  Onions and garlic and beans still seem to over winter ok so doesn't seem to be the end of the world.  Could well be too acidic  - I ought to do a soil test I guess!  In the meantime i am working on improving the structure of the soil where possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal