Author Topic: New laptop.  (Read 2214 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
New laptop.
« on: November 25, 2009, 17:59:46 »
Currently in the Excited States & am tempted to buy myself a laptop.
I can save 117 pounds for an Acer 15.6".
The UK machine has a dual core processer(Intel), the US one a single core(AMD). Both have Win7 installed. There are no power issues & I will have to cut the plug off & fit a UK one to fool Customs 8).
I would prefer the dual core processer.
Any comments or am I being picky?
Thanks guys.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: New laptop.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 18:06:58 »
you will regret getting a single core if you use more than a few progs at once and it will slow down when doing a virus scan id pay the extra for the dual core. it will be a bit more power hungery on the battery but the performance will be much better.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 18:44:26 »
I bought my wife an Acer with a full size keyboard that also has a number pad at the side; in December last year.  I will never buy another Acer model.

The touch-mouse had a mind of its own and moved when it wanted to.  It was sent for repair then too.  A colleague of mine has had similar problems with his Acer. 

The hinge keeps jamming, becoming stiff and difficult to close the lid.  It went in for repair and they said it just needed oiling.  No other laptops have this problem .  I have since been told it will eventually get so hard to close - it may crack the screen if the lid is forced. It is booked to go back in for repair... its third time inside its warranty,  hence we have just paid for an additional years warranty.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 19:18:13 »
Dont know about the customs regulations, but I wouldnt buy a laptop abroad just because of the lack of after-care. I'd want to know that there was a person on the end of the phone in this country, and (ideally) an address I can drop it off at.

A colleague bought a bargain laptop abroad but it packed up just out of warranty and even though it looked like a standard Compaq, the parts were different to the ones supplied to the UK, and repairing it would have cost more than a new one. And even if its under warranty you will probably end up having to pay to post it to the US, and it will be gone for a long time!

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 23:47:14 »
Thanks guys. I'll wait until I get home.
OH can buy me one for Crimbo.
 ;D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 00:17:16 »
I've just bought a new laptop a   Toshiba satellite  £339 from staples, built in web cam and mic
don't know a lot about computers but its a nice machine and dose what i want it to

jtw
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 00:33:31 by jimtheworzel »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:40 »
I buy a lot of stuff from here http://www.europc.co.uk - mostly for work but you can get some great bargains.
Its basically just reboxed goods.  Idiot IT people like me order too much and return them or resellers go bust - Dell/HP etc cannot sell them again so they are turned over to europc and other companies.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:36:43 »
thanks for the link Nick, I used to use EBuyer - but it depends what they have on offer. I recently recommended a friend buy a new laptop from John Lewis, they seem to be doing some decent deals for the home computer market. The last ones I have got have all come from Tottenham Court Road - I kind of like going there, having a chat, checking out the deals and then going into negotiation mode! So far always been happy with my choices  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal