Author Topic: Growing Beans in the Same Place  (Read 9052 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Growing Beans in the Same Place
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:57 »
I had always tried to rotate my bean growing plot.  But my mother in law grew fab beans on the same spot for 50 years.  They seem to particularly like certain places in my garden.  Can I keep them in the same spot?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Growing Beans in the Same Place
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:23:02 »
I suppose if you fill the trench each year with different compost it will not matter a bit.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:29:44 »
Digeroo I presume you mean French beans etc, so can someone explain to me why can you grow runner beans in the same spot (I've read on here that people do so) but not other beans (or am I being a bit dim  ::) )

Thanks 1066
(And I don't mean to hijack your thread Digeroo, cos I'd like to use a certain spot on my plot for exactly this but like to try and understand why )

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:50 »
Seems that the beans have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria so the same soil will actually be beneficial.  Certainly my m in l never changed the soil.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:34:01 »
Ah - thanks!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:22 »
And I don't mean to hijack your thread Digeroo

You are certainly not hijacking my thread.  I rather consider a thread to be a starting point for a conversation on the same topic.  

I did know about the nodules on the roots etc,  but tonybloke was telling me more about it in the shed yesterday and I am interesting in learning more.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:01 »
My father always grew his runners in the same spot and I don't remember his changing the soil. And several of the older guys on our site do the same - and they definitely don't change the soil.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:15:33 »
Chap on the plot next to us has a permanent structure for beans.  I like to move them around so the nodules can do good elsewhere in the plot.  And also mine grow up canes, which of course are moveabele.
The Tuscan Beaneater

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:21:31 »
ok - so what are nodules ! ( I must pop into the shed sometime....)
And yes I've seen some people have permanent bean structures, so there must be some good to it

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:22:40 »
I suppose it has its advantages growing them in one spot as a permanent structure could make it easier than having to tie in canes or poles every year.  

My neighbour has grown his in the same spot for 50 years whereas I move mine around.  We both get more beans than we can cope with.   ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:05 »
Certainly, with runners, which are so tall, choosing a spot and keeping them there would have its advantages. You could position them so they didn't overshadow other stuff and you could have a permanent frame.

I just grow them as part of my rotation.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:39:30 »
I like to move them around so the nodules can do good elsewhere in the plot.  And also mine grow up canes, which of course are moveabele.
I also rotate mine for the same reason.
I have read that you must not follow legumes with more legumes, but loads of people grow in the same spot year after year, so this is confusing.
After talking with my OH father, who is a farmer. He plants his runner beans in the garden in the same place each year, but when he grows acres if field beans, he trys not to plant in the same field.
So I think you need to rotate to prevent diseases, but only if you grow on a large scale.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:07 »
ok - so what are nodules ! ( I must pop into the shed sometime....)
And yes I've seen some people have permanent bean structures, so there must be some good to it

The nodules to which they are referring are nitrogen fixing nodules which legumes all have, they are excellent for fixing nitrogen in the soil so would be good for all soil to have legumes in so next veg have lots of nitrogen. However, having said that... my neighbours (80 years old) have grown runners in the same spot year after year, they do the proper trench starting now so the soil is always full of goodness and of course as runners are so tall if you choose a spot which isn't shadowing something else you can out a permanent or semi perm structure up for them to grow on. It's 6 of one half a dozen of another!!  ;D ;D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:17:58 »
Reddyreddy - thanks for the explanation  :)

I have the perfect spot for a permanent bean structure, towards the back of the plot and gets lots of sun. As I don't grow that many runners (only 1/2 a dozen anymore and we're in glut teritory!) I was wondering if I could grow other beans alongside them? And as I love generally love legumes there will always be more dotted around the plot, so keeping a bit of crop rotation gowing as well

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:35:28 »
The nodules in question are the 'prison / home' of nitrogen fixing bacteria. as the plant first grows from the seed, some of the roots open a minute hole (usually just beneath a root-hair) this hole exudes a signal which 'invites' bacteria in. When the bacteria is in the root opening, the root-hair closes over it, thereby entrapping the bacterium. the bacterium 'fix' nitrogen from the atmosphere, and because they don't need much of it to survive, they 'exchange' it with the plant, in return for starch (monosacharides) which the plant produces to excess.
This is a good example of symbiosis.
the bacterium aren't particularly mobile, so growing runner beans in the same spot helps the two to 'get together'.
Some commercial legume seed is coated with bacterium before sowing, to ensure the supply of bacteria to the roots.
After cropping any beans, it is best to leave the roots in the soil, as these break down they release the nitrogen for the next crop to use, (it's why some farmers use a clover 'ley'  which is then ploughed in to feed the next crop.
Sorry if this a long and boring post, but hey, you asked!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 11:41:22 »
Sorry if this a long and boring post, but hey, you asked!! ;)

Fascinating TB !
My science in take is certainly improving with the use of this site.....  :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 11:47:14 »
Hey Tony you took me straight back to college then.

Excellent teacher............... :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 12:12:40 »
And you can actually see those nodules in the roots, crunchy little things if you squeeze one.

I just snap the stem off low to the ground at the end of the season and let the roots rot in place.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 12:24:56 »
that's good practice annie!!
You couldn't make it up!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 16:47:02 »
Ark at Tone the big SWAT.   :P
My Runners are in a permanent spot at the front of the plot, I dig a trench and back fill with veg peelings, (not spuds) shredded paper and grass cuttings. The other beans form part of the rotation along with the peas, and as already said are cut at ground level when finished thus leaving the roots in the soil and what Tone said.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal