Author Topic: Bad Fox !!!!  (Read 7809 times)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
Re: Bad Fox !!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2009, 15:11:37 »
Foxes are territorial , that is why you notice the stink when they mark their territory. If you shoot one fox then you are likely to get several others fighting over the territory. To say that foxes are living in an unnatural environment is rubbish. The countryside is mainly not natural - most has been cleared for farmland and probably provides more food for foxes than the original primeval forest, cause they are very adaptable specie. Towns and cities provide more food than the countryside, that is why they support more foxes/acre than the surrounding countryside.
As for spreading disease to pets, also rubbish. None of the pet cats and dogs be have owned have ever caught anything and we have had foxes always around, they are as normal to have around as blackbirds and sparrows.
We live in a small town. When we got a rabbit I knew I had to get a hutch and run that was predator proof. We are getting chickens in the New year. I have paid for a well built secure chicken shed and they will have access to a moveable electric fence that is designed to be fox proof. If I had them on an allottment then I would use a battery instead of mains power.

If you use a gun on an allottment not only are you likely to be thrown off but you would lose your gun license and be fined.
I wish I had a fox living in my garden - it would help keep the bleeding mice down.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 17:49:25 »
I'm sure I've had more problems with rats since the foxes had mange. I'm not so sure about the countryside providing more food; industrial agriculture doesn't seem to favour very much in the way of wildlife!

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2009, 19:40:20 »
I suppose it depends on the countryside. Round here we have cow pasture and that supports a lot of worms and worms are a very important part of their diet. I should imagine they take maize cobs as well cause everything else seems to be pulling them out of the fields. Also rats and mice round anywhere there is animal feed stored.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 21:21:57 »
I disagree that pets don't get diseases from foxes as when our dog was alive she used to go fishing with OH and roll in certain places and managed to pick up mange which was easily treated. we often see foxes around our estate and I put out any food the cat leaves to whatever wants it . we have seen hedgehogs and a fox in our small garden as there is a small pond which they drink from as well but never seen a dead hedgehog
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 13:19:47 »
Didn't the dog stink? Mine has done that and she ended up in the bath as soon as we got home.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 16:25:13 »
Didn't the dog stink? Mine has done that and she ended up in the bath as soon as we got home.
you would have thought so! blessed if I can remember  shes been gone nearly 10years and was old and smelly  anyway very much like OH was when he came home from fishing ;)
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal