Author Topic: Barn Owl  (Read 1891 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Barn Owl
« on: January 01, 2010, 20:29:00 »
We have had another day of snow in the Scottish Borders.  It must be 8" deep now.  Anyways, I have been kept busy feeding the birds and midday today I had 14 blackbirds feeding at my back door - mostly fighting tho.!  On the top step were 2 Red legged partridges, they have never been so close to the house.  I am sure they are in residence under the bushes at the bottom of our garden.  The highlight of this snowy day tho. was the sight of the Barn Owl flying past my kitchen window at 9 a.m.  It flew down into the field and turned round and came back again.  Beautiful Bird.  It is not the first time I have seen one around my garden but a magical start to 2010.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.

:D :D

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Barn Owl
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 23:35:17 »
Fantastic, Carol!  What a lovely start to the day.  The barn owl I mentioned last month has not returned (well, not whilst I'm around anyway, lol)

PS am I to expect a comp entry from you ... hint hint ...

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 23:48:00 »
Yes, I remembered your post about the Barn Owl as I watched it flying past (had a lump in my throat cos I knew it would be hungry).  I have seen a Barn Owl take the same route, but in the summer. 

No pics afraid.  Same as last month only a baby pic.   Will have a look tho.  just in case.....

Happy new Year Sam to you and yours.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 12:01:42 »
And the same to you Carol x :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 13:13:06 »
Only twice in my life have I startled an owl as I came out of the house- or it startled me- and each time was amazed at how different they look in flight, like a flying buffalo- such a blocky build, and they fly soundlessly! I think these were Barred Owls. We don't seem to have Barn Owls on our street. 

My other owl sighting was of a Long Eared Owl which must have been sick. He sat at the top of a pine tree all day and didn't mind me repeatedly checking up on him up close.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal