Author Topic: 100 Top Chilli growing tips  (Read 4044 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
100 Top Chilli growing tips
« on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:59 »
I'll start us off, let's see if we can keep this going to 100!

Number 1

Epsom Salts
Use an occasional foliar spray of Epsom Salts (about 1-2ts per litre) when flowering and fruiting to help with fruit set, make plants grow bushier, increases chlorophyll production and improves phosphorus and nitrogen uptake

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: 100 Top Chilli growing tips
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 23:44:53 »
Number 2

Chit the seeds on damp paper towels in a warm place (I cover in cling film to prevent drying out) and sow into compost when tiny 'tails' appear - saves on pots and compost.

Tricia

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 23:11:09 »
number 3

checking your seedlings every 5 minutes will not make them grow any quicker :'(

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 23:13:39 »
Number 4

stay on top of aphids or before you know it they will undo all your hard work >:(

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 23:37:57 »
Number 5

dont grow chillies in huge pots.......you will produce bigger plants at the expense of flowers and fruit!!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 23:54:03 »
Number 6

Try putting gravel on top of pots to keep moisture in, or grow on trays of gravel: the extra humidity helps deter red spider mite.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 00:40:20 »
NUMBER  7

buy from LIDL and swear blind you grew em

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:03:05 »
Number 8.

Get an electric propagator for successful germination - I had much better rates of success this year after being bought one for Christmas.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 08:13:39 »
Number 9

Don't be tempted to put out into a cold greenhouse too soon... they will just sulk!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 00:44:52 »
10) Be sensible about your chosen varieties:

Decide – are you a grower of good food or just a collector of trophies (or both)?

Remember that a year's worth of very hot chillis will cost you a couple of quid at the grocers and won’t take up much space in your freezer.

Mild flavoursome chillis are very difficult to buy – so grow them.

There are mild versions of every type and flavour of chilli - and you can actually taste the difference.

The ones approaching medium heat aren’t too bulky to freeze – they will both add flavour and perk up 9 months of stews and stir-fries. The ones that are mainly spicy can be used fresh to improve your salads by replacing some or all the sweet peppers you normally put in.

Good Luck.

PS. I used to get involved in the macho chilli-eating side but though I can still stand the heat I prefer to enjoy the kitchen via working taste-buds. I've always applied a version of the rule above to every variety of fruit and veg I grow, but I've only grown up enough to apply this approach to chillis in the last few years.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 19:07:42 »
Mmm nice thinking, must say i tend to stay away from the really hot ones now i've grown up a bit. What types do you recommend for the milder type?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 22:07:32 »
I'm starting a Mild Chilli topic because though I've got a few reliable ones I've found some others tricky.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 21:56:17 »
Write down what is what,certanly dont taste on the spot.I had a bad bad experiance.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal