Author Topic: Garden veg patches  (Read 3248 times)

Patrick King

• Half Acre
Garden veg patches
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:33:14 »
Right i have moved away from home (left my mum and dad yay ) and moved in with my girlfriend. Also got a new job after being made redundent from the last. But sadly the move meant leaving my allotment .
:( so me and the girlfriend came up with the idea of using the garden for a veg patch.

So looking for ideas, show me you garden veg patches.  ;D
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Garden veg patches
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:32 »
With four lotties all the veg has been exiled from the Garden, used to when we lived in the terrace (before Lotties) but the pics are not in an electronic format...  ::)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:05 »
Sounds like a good plant to veg the garden but I would apply for an allotment as well, I like my own bit of space.

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:51:38 »
not got much free time to get an allotment again, but i still want to grow my own etc. so the top end of the garden would be great as it a large area.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 17:59:31 »
my garden was my veg patch this year i have an allotment now but i've only just taken it on and it's getting cleared now.

Heres some pics from my garden then...

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 19:01:13 »
Dont forget the front!

So long as you dont live on a busy road use the front garden.
I always feel that its such a waste to have this patch that you never sit in and only strangers ever see.
So get those peas and beans in there maybe add one or two sweet peas, this year im putting my echium in there to and hoping for 12ft!
potatoes, cabbage, carrots anything . If its tarmac i found those plastic raised bed work great , lettuce parsnips and carrots becuase its a warm place and dry. large onions but spring onions not so much as they need more wet to begin. oh and i grew peas in them to great!
good luck
x sunloving

jokey

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:09 »
hi patrick

i don't have a allottment but grow everything and anything in the garden.  i started with one raised bed for my first year but this year i have got rid of my grass (dog kills it anyway) and put in another 2 more raised beds with coloured stone around them, i also have a small lean to greenhouse.

the whole garden is a mixture of flowers, perennials and fruit/veg.  hectic but i love it ;D

i grow lots of things in the borders including raspberries, cougettes, tomatoes, also have 2 tiny raised beds next to the greenhouse which i will rotate with a few veg like beans, sprouts.  also grow lots in buckets, troughs scattered around the garden - sweetcorn, carrots, strawberries, pretty much what i fancy. i also have two sacks i grow my spuds in.
my garden isn't big but love using it to be as productive as possible and find i can grow more than enough. 

hope this helps

jo

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:14:53 »
love the pictures, looks great. given me some idea.

maybe i should change the question.

Lets see your raised beds.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 16:28:11 »
My veggies are in my garden too on a flat raised area which is divided into raised beds.   There are two pics of some of it here - http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/Obelixx_be/08%20garden/?action=view&current=080826003.jpg which show some of it.

We have a permanent rhubarb and blackcurrant patch plus 2 blueberries underplanted with strawberries in this area behind the house and then grow leeks, onions, beans, assorted salad leaves, fennel, sweetcorn, beetroot, broccoli, curly kale, Swiss chard and Chinese greens such as pak choi and mizuna.   Round the side of the house we also have raspberries, blackberries, tayberries, loganberries, a damson and more strawberries in more raised beds.
Obxx - Vendée France

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 17:04:55 »
I like the way you have screened the veggie area off Obbelix, very smart!

Before I got my allotment I used to grow some veggies at home, mostly courgettes, toms, beans, aubergine, salads, and chillies. I just used to put them in the boarders and some stuff in pots. Worked well for me as the garden isn't huge. I still grow a few bits in the garden and next year plan to edge the boarders with herbs and salads

Good luck with the new garden, home and job!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 17:17:15 »
I like your pics Le-y.  Especially like the idea of having the raised beds diagonal to the corner so you get another triangle at the back.  I saw some raised beds recently which had the corner triangles partitioned off, thought that made a nice pattern as well.

I try and put decorative veg in my front garden.  Lots of  shapes and colours, with patches of flowers.  Four different colour flowered runner beans etc.  Yellow and purple climbing french etc etc.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:32 »
here are two videos of my garden that i made in august of this year, hope it gives you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrSCRN43dhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VKk7W236tg

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53:03 »

Try growing upwards.  This bushel gourd grew up a holly tree which was sturdy enough to support it and produced two gourds but could have done cucumbers or butternut squash just as well.

Like your raised bed, colorful lettuces and planters!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 12:51:07 »
Digeroo I thought it added a bit of decor, plus there was a massive slab of concrete right where i needed to dig the post lol, not only that but it allowed me to plant my cucumber plant in the corner piece and when it grew big i had it climbing up the fence with a support for the cucs.

one of the raised beds is now a manure heap with some cabbages  :-\ growing in it which my husband planted, not sure why he decided to plant them in there   ???
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 15:54:47 »
I grew a pumpkin up an apple tree a while ago.  I now have four tiny apple trees in my front garden so might try some cucumbers, or even climbing french beans up them.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 18:54:22 »
Thifasmom, you garden looks lovely (I like the natural look!)- and very productive!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 23:59:34 »
here are two videos of my garden that i made in august of this year, hope it gives you some ideas.

thifasmom, I loved your garden walk-through and getting to hear your voice! Utube is fun. Your squashes are intriguing! Makes me want to try more varieties.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 08:20:11 »
yes i loved your videos too thifasmom, i love all the companion planting in your veg area.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 23:07:48 »
Thifasmom, you garden looks lovely (I like the natural look!)- and very productive!

thifasmom, I loved your garden walk-through and getting to hear your voice! Utube is fun. Your squashes are intriguing! Makes me want to try more varieties.

thanks for your lovely compliments guys. caroline7758 the natural look! comes about from lack of maintenance at times, which i like the look of as well, which is lucky :). GrannieAnnie  i have been able to stick to planting just your basic pumpkin and butternuts in years gone pass then i joined A4A and heard so many nice things about all the different varieties that are sometimes advertised in the seed catalogues that i couldn't resist the seeds in last years seed swaps and  my patch was the result ;). next year i plan to grow even more, some at home and some at my new allotment plot :D.

yes i loved your videos too thifasmom, i love all the companion planting in your veg area.

thank you too sarah. i always loved the potager garden look  but somehow never get round to planting out the flower seedlings i painstakingly sow early each spring, with the veg plants always taking precedence. this year i made a more concerted effort to not only sow the seeds but to plant them out and though its not yet looking like i would like it, this year was the best yet and i was quite pleased with the results :).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal