Author Topic: Soot  (Read 1857 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Soot
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:45:09 »
Anyone plant their potatoes in soot? 
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: Soot
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 13:42:30 »
for what reason ? ???

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 17:30:47 »
Jim, at some time it's been recommended to me to plant potatoes with soot, but I can't for the life of me remember why.

plainleaf, that's an interesting book isn't it.  Shows that potatoes yield well in dung, but I wonder if the soot might have benefits other than yield, because it doesn't mention quality.  Lots of units I'm not familiar with too - links, bolls, ect.

What actually is soot anyway?  Yeah, i know it comes from your chimbley, I mean chemically what is it?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 17:34:55 »
a boll of potatoes is 6 bushels.
the soot also deters slugs.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 17:46:08 »
I can't see the point either, OK, wood ash is high in potassium, hence potash, I would have thought that soot would not,as it would be almost pure carbon, great as a neutral growing medium or making diamonds, but anything else?????
Maybe someone with more than O level chemistry would like to correct me.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 18:10:06 »
Do you have a source of soot Unwashed or is it an academic enquiry?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 18:46:26 »
Are you a chimney sweep by any chance?

I understand that in the sooty smoggy days of old before the clean air act roses never had black spot.
The Tuscan Beaneater

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 20:09:01 »
Soot should be avoided in this day and age, unless you know the origin of it, as the modern smokeless fuels contain a lot of metals and chemicals and so should not be used.  If you can get genuine coal soot then it should stand for at least a year to let all the matals, toxic sulpher etc to dissapate. Soot has a commercial analysis of 9% N. If you intend to apply it to the garden then it should be used at a rate of 1/2 lb to a square yard. It should be aplied as a top dressing during the period of growth and hoed in.
Another method is to put it in a hesssian sack suspended in a water butt and use the mixture as a liquid feed.
It can also be used when watering tomatoes that is intended for the show bench, it gives the tomato skin a nice deep red colour.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 00:57:44 »
Slugs hate it... I was lucky enough to pick up a load of weathered soot earlier this year and have barrier lines of it around various things, not a slug has got past it yet as far as I can tell.... might try it next year with spuds as I have loads left....

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 18:37:08 »
Soot is volatile material which is boiled off by the heat of a smouldering fire, plus particles of carbon. The volatiles condense up the chimney, where it builds up. It's highly inflammable; I remember chimeny fires well from when I was a kid. They were always disappointing as there were no flames (there was no excitement in a fire engine if there wasn't a dramatic fire!) but there would be great clouds of thick yellow smoke pouring out of the chimney as the stuff evaporated again. Flames on a coal fire are the hot volatiles and carbon burning off as they mix with the air. I've never seen a chemical analysis, but there must be a lot of carbon, plus hydrocarbons ('coal tar'), plus sulphur compounds, depending on how much sulphur there is in the coal, plus contaminants of all sorts. Altogether it's probably a fairly nasty mix.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal