Author Topic: Drying Field Mushrooms (or how to)  (Read 4309 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Drying Field Mushrooms (or how to)
« on: October 21, 2009, 14:28:32 »
There are loads of field mushrooms on my dog walk, and now I have sickened everyone of soup etc., I thought maybe I could dry some. Not sure how to go about this though. anyone got any knowledge please?
Smile, it confuses people.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Drying Field Mushrooms (or how to)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 14:55:58 »
Step by step instructions for the 2 most common methods here:
http://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id9.html

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 15:11:45 »
You can also dry them in a very low oven. But it takes hours, so not very economical unless you have lots. (Or an Aga!)

We had a monster haul of ceps a few years back and I think I've got enough stored away in jars to last the rest of my life! Just one or two slices added to a casserole reals lifts it.

Another way is to make duxelles: dice them finely, with some garlic & onion and fry the whole lot very slowly, stirring frequently,  until all the moisture is evaporated. Again, it takes an age. But the result can be frozen in small quantities, to be added to casseroles, etc as you need.

You can freeze the soup, of course.

You must have had a lot more rain than we have here. Haven't seen a single mushroom yet and we're well into the season.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 16:22:52 »
It's rained twice all summer Trevor. :o Never seen so many mushrooms here before though. Thanks for the info.
Thanks too, Baccy Man. Good link. Looks like the heated trolley again. ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 18:01:47 »
On the back of the AGA!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 18:14:11 »
The French cook them in butter and push them  tightly into a jars and then put melted butter on top of them to form a seal. They keep in the fridge for ages.

I make a steak and mushroom or chicken and mushroom pies and they freeze fine.

Mushrooms also make a lovely creamy sauce with cashew nuts for over those thin strips of pasta tagliatelle I think it is called.

Sauces and soups freeze well.

mushroom rissotto is great too.

It is hard to find good mushroom stock in the UK though Knorr did used to do one but stopped. Still available in Asia but a long way to go to shop. Worth blitzing some and keeping them in ice cube trays to add to savouries.

I just wish that I dare pick them when I find them, I am never sure they are edible. You can take found mushrooms into any pharmacy in France and get them tested but Boots gave me a funny look when I asked if they had a similar facility.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 11:58:19 »
Just an update on progress. Picked and wiped a bagfull yesterday, put them on a rack over a baking tray and put them in the bottom of the heated trolley. (plate warming bit) Left them all evening and over night. Excellent result. Had a nibble, full of flavour. Now in a jar in the cupboard. :D
Will do more like this whilst I can pick them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal