Author Topic: Filo Pastry Pumpkin Pie  (Read 3663 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Filo Pastry Pumpkin Pie
« on: October 26, 2009, 18:09:00 »
Hi, a friend asked me to write up my recipie so I thought maybe some of you good folks might also like it - whatever it is at least seasonal !!

Filo Pastry Pumpkin Pie

1 small to medium pumpkin or squash
1 onion
1 clove of garlic (more if you prefer)
Salt and Black pepper
Grated nutmeg
Packet of Filo pastry
Olive oil

1.   Halve the pumpkin and peel and de-seed it
2.   Grate the pumpkin pieces
3.   Peel and thinly slice the onion (into half rings)
4.   Chop garlic finely
5.   Fry the onion, garlic and grated pumpkin, until they are cooked / sweated off
6.   For a large pie, brush the square pie dish (2” deep) with some oil
7.   Place a piece of filo pastry on the bottom of the dish, brush with some oil, place another piece of filo and some more oil (use about 6 to 7 sheets of filo
8.   Add salt and pepper to and grate some nutmeg into the cooked pie mixture and place into the pie dish
9.   Add the rest of the filo pastry sheets on top of the pumpkin mixture in the same way as the bottom sheets
10.   Bake in a hot oven (200+) for 20 to 30 minutes until cooked.

Alternative mixture & method
1.   Make individual pies by cutting the filo sheets into half lengthways and then placing a tablespoon of the mixture into 1 corner and fold over into a triangle shape (to meet the outer edge of the filo sheet), and then fold the rest of the filo over and over and then brush the end of the filo sheet with some oil to stick the ends together. Or make cigar shaped pies if its easier.
2.   Add some grated haloumi into the pumpkin mix
3.   Make cheese pies with feta, spring onions, garlic and black pepper
4.   Add some cooked and chopped spinach into the feta mix
5.   Make spinach pies with a fried slice onion, chopped garlic, salt and pepper, and chopped spinach – this needs sweating off and any excess liquid to be drained off

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Filo Pastry Pumpkin Pie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:30:57 »
Thank you for that. A lot of people are growing pumpkins and most are not too certain what to do with the flesh.

I wanted to try to make filo pastry myself rather than buy it ready made and looked up a recipe on the internet and this is what I found. It may be of interest to others too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJKvAIgPAtk

I am still buying it..

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:44:20 »
Fascinating clip you found PurpleHeather! Somehow I think I'll be sticking to shop bought as well  ;D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 19:08:17 »
Surprised that your recipe includes onion and garlic, in what I imagined would be a sweet pudding pumpkin pie.
I have still to make a pumpkin pie with my pumpkins, as I am still using up windfall apples in puddings and pies.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:59:36 »
I guess I prefer savoury pies  :D . I think the recipie originates from Greece/Turkey or the Middle East (I forget now!) Also I don't have a massively sweet tooth as it were  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal