Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 4139 times)

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
Raspberries
« on: October 25, 2009, 21:14:18 »
I want to grow raspberries in my allotment but am not too sure how many plants would be advisable, its for 2 people.  Can someone suggest a respectable number to feed two women who love raspberries?

Patrick King

• Half Acre
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 21:50:55 »
20 plants then freeze what you don't use straight away so you have some over winter  ;D

Frozen perfect for smoothies and you can defrost for pies etc.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 22:34:34 »
How about 10 summer raspberries and 10 autumn? Raspberries freeze well but you can't beat the taste of fresh raspberry. There may only be 2 of you but do you plan to make jam? My wife freezes raspberries and puts them in jellies and fruit salads throughout the year so the two of us can get through a lot. We have using PYO up to now but I am now renting some land so am wondering how many I can fit in. I am wondering whether to get 20 summer and 10 autumn raspberries.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 23:17:45 »
Raspberry variety "Joan" produce fruit from Jul-Oct so you would only need one variety if space is a premium.  This is what I have researched this past week as I am renewing all my raspberry canes for next year.  I will also be getting an early summer variety too.  Well they are delicious....... ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 23:32:35 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 23:22:19 »
20 canes should be more than enough Paula.. 10 summer and ten Autumn... but I would just do Autumn if you can wait.
Welcome to A4A.  :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 07:49:46 »
PaulaB hello and a warm welcome to A4A!
As many as you have space for as you can never have too many raspberries! Well I would say that as, like you, I love them!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:38:44 »
I love em too but we've been picking constantly since July and they are still coming, over 80lbs to date.

Mind you we are very popular with the neighbours as a result :-)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 16:37:24 »
Hiya, paula, welcome to a4a  ;D
we have 8 so far, plus I've just ordered another 3, we seem to get lots   ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 16:39:05 »
Can people recommend a good supplier.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 18:10:38 »
What sort are you after Digger?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 18:14:22 »
we got ours 'free from d.t.brown, paid 4.21 p&p. called tulameen

Patrick King

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 18:19:40 »
wow good price
http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/catalogue/product/61047/
£12.95 per 12 canes

might get myself some.
My plot - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,40512.0.html
Foxes don't burrow, they only dig

PaulaB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 21:44:31 »
I am going for 21 9 earlies 9 later ones and 3  golden, though as they are sold in 6's 3 will have to go into the garden.  This is my first time with an allotment I got it at the end of april but managed to grow some marrows, carrots, onions mange tout french and runner beans.  Its fun I have half an allotment but am trying to increase to a full lot!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 15:38:56 »
Hiya, paulab, welcome to a4a  ;D
we're putting some more in our garden  :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 16:27:40 »
Hi Paula
If you can get to Bristol then you are welcome to my Autumn Bliss. I am getting rid of them as I need the space for a polytunnel.
PM me if you are interested - or anyone else who is reading this!
Cath

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 12:38:03 »
PaulaB hello and a warm welcome to A4A!
As many as you have space for as you can never have too many raspberries! Well I would say that as, like you, I love them!  :)
I agree.  However I would suggest that you have more autumn than summer as they produce less per week but for more weeks. I still get a punnet a week and last year got my last ones on the 21st of Dec.

How about 5 each of two summer varieties.  And 20 + of autumn ones Joan J and Autumn Bliss.  However if you have freezer space get more (and too be honset you can probably always lots of raspberries).
If you have space also get some yellow raspberries but only if you have space as they do not produce that many fruits.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 09:53:06 »
They quickly produce more plants and we always end up with people giving away extras on the allotments.

New shoots travel north ( this is true of many plants and bulbs) so when you plant them watch that you are not giving away new shoots to your neighbours by planting them south with space to expand. (hope that makes sense)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 12:43:36 »
They quickly produce more plants and we always end up with people giving away extras on the allotments.

New shoots travel north ( this is true of many plants and bulbs) so when you plant them watch that you are not giving away new shoots to your neighbours by planting them south with space to expand. (hope that makes sense)
Is that true?  Never heard that and must check mine.  I've just been expanding my rasp. bed, got rid of a yellow (Autumn Gold) earlier because it never got sweet, and now transplanting and giving away lots of runners of Heritage which has been delicious. I'd take out more lawn if hubby could part with it just to grow more Heritage which bear into the Fall, still picking some.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 13:20:14 »
New shoots travel north

Is this really true?  I have planted some on the west side of a fence and I do not want them to go under the fence because my neighbour has a path there.  So I was expecting to have to keep digging them up.  Sounds like there will not be a problem.

Al Lotment

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 22:03:59 »
I have to admit to a preference for autumn fruiting I have just picked my last raspberries (Autumn Bliss) today... they started in early August and have picked every 2-4 days ... amazing.
I have also just ordered another 12 Joan J's to replace my summer fruiting canes, I am tired of fighting the birds for them in early summer. I have not had to net my autumn fruiting canes, I assume there is so much other food around for the birds. that they ignore the raspberries.
Lost count of the volume or raspberries we picked .... but as folks said they freeze well and can be used all year round.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal