Author Topic: freebies(almost)  (Read 1760 times)

aggie

• Half Acre
freebies(almost)
« on: October 24, 2009, 14:00:37 »
I went to the park Wednesday in Bury St Edmons and the Gardner's were digging out the summers plants. I got 2 large bags of begonia's about 14 corns 3 very large Salvers the deepest blue i have ever seen and a variegated butimon ( not sure if i have spelt that right) The Gardner said the salvers and Butimon would be OK in the green house over winter and just dry out the begonia's and replant in May. All for £4.00  :o :o

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: freebies(almost)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 14:46:35 »
Do you mean abutilon?
Bargain either way...  :)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 15:20:22 »
Nice one  ;D  ;D ;D  Our park can't see past geraniums and pansies  ::)
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 17:45:46 »
Yes I should have said abutilon. Its really large. Put in a pot one of the tomato's were in. The leaves are gorgeous   

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 18:30:32 »
Very enterprising of your council gardener. ;)
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

aggie

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 18:44:28 »
I was only visiting some friends in Bury. I live in Kent our parks don't sell the plants, they would rather throw them away >:( >:(

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 18:52:22 »
I grew up in Southend-on-Sea and the district's parks had the most fabulous floral displays and they grew all their own stock.  Once a year you were allowed to go round their nursary - my dad used to borrow a few cuttings and pop them in his glasses case!

Throwing out plants is shameful - you've payed for them in you taxes, it wouldn't harm to give them away.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal