Author Topic: Which sweet corn variety will you growing in 2010 and why.  (Read 5575 times)

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
Which sweet corn  variety will you growing in 2010 and why.
If are going to grow multiple varieties which methods of segregation will you be using.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Which sweet corn variety will you growing in 2010 and why.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 17:13:32 »
The same variety as this year. Because I want to.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 17:41:33 »
I'm growing swift because I understand they do OK in our short Scottish season. I grow smallish quantities of lots of different veg and fruit, so I won't plant more than one variety of sweet corn. Also it's not one of my favourite vegetables so I tend to grow fewern than I might. Just enough in a block to guarantee pollination.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 17:54:43 »
[url]/url]
i don't belive death is the end

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 18:14:50 »
 One of my allotment neighbours grew a variety called Honeydew which I am considering for next year because hers seem to develop very quickly. She had cobs alot earlier than mine even though they were sowed and planted around the same time. This year I grew Ovation. I was pleased with these but would like to try a different type next year.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 18:25:48 »
I am going to try Sugar Bubs, I chose this as it is where the dart hit the catalog.
No, that is not quite true, I tried a few throws, but could not hit the catalog, so I picked the one that says it has a long harvesting period, as that is what is most important to me.

I also have some seeds left over from this year, will probably use up the Lark seeds, not decided about the others.

As for segregation, how far apart do they have to be?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 18:39:27 »
conthehill there two type of variety segregation in sweet corn
distance and time. distance between two incompatible varieties need be at least 300 meters.
time is to keep to incompatible variety from pollinating at same time.
to get get good pollenation you need 16 plants plant 4x4 in block on average 1 foot apart.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 18:46:12 »
conthehill there two type of variety segregation in sweet corn
distance and time. distance between two incompatible varieties need be at least 300 meters.
time is to keep to incompatible variety from pollinating at same time.
to get get good pollenation you need 16 plants plant 4x4 in block on average 1 foot apart.
300 meters  :-X I better tell every body else on the site not to grow any sweet corn while I am growing mine.
Better still, I'll just leave a few feet between blocks and not worry about it, seemed to work fine this year.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 19:08:47 »
Ovation as it does well for me, Minipop for "chinese" corn and an odd one... bloody butcher or Hopi Blue...  :)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 19:30:36 »
Swift and Lark as they mature quickly and I am in Glasgow. They do well for me every year, and are the extra tender and sweet type and you do not have to bother about problems from other varieties of sweetcorn close by.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 19:58:07 »
300 meters  :-X I better tell every body else on the site not to grow any sweet corn while I am growing mine.
Better still, I'll just leave a few feet between blocks and not worry about it, seemed to work fine this year.

300 meters is for farm scale plantings. Ten yards will do on an allotment, or have them flowering at different times.

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 20:03:24 »
I'll probably be growing the one from Wilkos, I think it was Incredible. Superb yield.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 20:19:28 »
I overlooked the 300 metres that was stated in a comment! It appears that someone has no real conception of allotments and allotmenteering here in the UK.  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 20:47:59 »

300 meters is for farm scale plantings. Ten yards will do on an allotment, or have them flowering at different times.
OK, my segregation method will be to place them a distance apart, I also try to place them so the blocks are not in-line with the prevailing wind.

The 300m bit does explain one thing to me.
When I have read books, they always seem to say `plant in a block to make sure of pollination` and yet, I have seen people planting in lines, and when I mention the block thing, they say it is rubbish, it works fine in lines.

I think the books should be saying `plant in a block to make sure of pollination by your plants and not from the neighbours plot`.

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 20:54:41 »

OK, my segregation method will be to place them a distance apart, I also try to place them so the blocks are not in-line with the prevailing wind.

The 300m bit does explain one thing to me.
When I have read books, they always seem to say `plant in a block to make sure of pollination` and yet, I have seen people planting in lines, and when I mention the block thing, they say it is rubbish, it works fine in lines.

I think the books should be saying `plant in a block to make sure of pollination by your plants and not from the neighbours plot`.

The reason people probably get away with planting in rows, is because there is so much corn growing in the area that pollination occurs anyway.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 20:55:32 »
 :) Candy Mountain again for me, very sweet, can eat it raw at the lottie, I only grow one variety. shades x
grow your own way

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 22:47:29 »
Early Exrta Sweet (again) from Kings,  and Double Standard from Real Seeds

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 23:51:42 »
I will be growing Incredible again, it has become my banker. I only started with it because two years ago I decided late on to grow sweet corn and that was all they had at the garden centre. I chit my seed and mice took every single seedling so I had to resow with it again so it was late. That summer was awful. It was late maturing but it gave a huge crop. Used it again this year, rubbish summer again. It matured earlier and again huge crop. If you have a large family and they love sweet corn and the number of seeds in a normal pack are not enough then look  at Moles Seeds, their packets are huge. Also if sweet corn seed keeps well then it could last for a few years.
My wife has instructed me that I must grow the mini sweet corn so one will be planted in the veg garden at mother in laws and one at the allotment. distance 3 miles apart....is that enough? :)
Can ordinary maize that farmer's grow for silage mess it up pollination wise? I ask because we have loads of cattle round here and there are acres and acres of the stuff. I don't know how they manage to store it. A farmer I know has a huge silage pit full of grass silage and now has a 20 acre field of maize 7 foot high.

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 07:55:48 »
Geoff H yes field corn will interfere with the pollination of your corn and ruin the taste.
here is simple test.
Grow a white sweet corn variety. When you  harvest them if you find yellow kernels on the cob this will tell you your corn has been contaminated by field corn.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 08:56:11 »
I got several packets in a 50p sale so they are on my list.

Have grown a variety from Franchi which turned out to have red leaves and had a good flavour not at all clear on the packet what the variety is called.  Fruit quite small but enough for me for a meal.

Grew Ashworth - was rather disappointed by the flavour.

Wind tends to go from W to E so I put the different varieties in blocks spreadout from north to south.  Well sheltered by trees from N and S.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal