Author Topic: BBC QUESTION TIME  (Read 12794 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: BBC QUESTION TIME
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 18:48:03 »
We should copy Australia if we had a problem with immigration, but we don't so we shouldn't. Australian politicians need to pander to the same hysteria that is trotted out over here about immigrants taking (whatever, jobs, houses, health services... same drivel as here).

All immigrants to the UK are either running away from some kind of hell hole that the West has invariably caused or profited from (so we have a duty to welcome them) or they're coming to contribute to the economy by working (so we'd be idiots not to want them here).

Maybe a tougher line on immigration would remove the BNP vote but it will do nothing to improve the quality of life of any "indigenous" brits!

Ben Doowne

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 19:11:03 »
The BNP were elected by a democratic process and if they are to be quashed it should be via the democratic process too. Open debate is part of that process so they can argue they have a right to be on the programme.

The problem is that they are not going to say "we will kick you out if you are a mud blood" and "aren't the Nazi's a nice bunch of chaps", far from it, they will paint a rosy image which will only benefit them - a bit like all political parties really.

Good press or bad press the BNP will only benefit from all this publicity which in my opinion is a bad thing.

I will be watching, it should be spicy!

lushy86

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 19:15:48 »
We have been discussing this as a family and will be watching together as I feel it is important for my 15 year old daughter to understand   what these people stand for.  Unfortunately I don't think Griffin will show the real BNP.

Strangely I agree with what Rio Ferdinand (?) said today, that Griffin should be allowed onto QT as we are a democary and that it is the job of the others on the panel to expose him tonight - lets hope they do. 

Lushy x
Make mine a large one!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2009, 19:35:59 »
ITS past my bedtime, some of us do have to get up early, I'll tape it and watch it on my Samsung tomorrow, did I tell you I had a new Samsung.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 19:36:20 »
We will watch it because I want to hear from his own mouth what I've been reading about >:(

Nick Griffin lives just a few miles away from me he acts & talks like a politician which is bad enough the people he associates with (presumably supporters of the BNP) are very unpleasant & IMHO people like that should not get any say in how this country is run. I should be able to walk down the street with my wife without a bunch of idiots threatening me with baseball bats or machetes because they consider my wifes skin to be the wrong colour. If the BNP ever gets voted into power I think I'll end up emigrating.
I think (at least I would like to think) that I would stay behind, go underground and take up arms to fight in the resulting civil war.

This country has always defended free speech & I beleive in listening & learning & making up my own mind without the press telling me what to do.
You are still to make up your mind are you? :-X

This country has always defended free speech & I beleive in listening & learning & making up my own mind without the press telling me what to do.
I suggest rather, that a very small minority of free thinkers in this country have throughout history stood up to oppression, watched with disapproval by a reactionary public who are unbearably uncomfortable with any challenge to established dogma.
Are you a supporter of the racist scum then? :-X

I have apologised to Cleo via PM for what might have seemed like overreating
You'll get fat ;D

, I can see that the BNP (or a slightly watered down version of) will be in power within the next 10 years or so.

and if that happens, I, for one, will leave the country for good.
See above.  If everybody right minded who can, leaves, who will be left to sort it out for those that can't?

Good post Psi. To paraphrase Jimmy Carr...

Someone comes here from a foreign country. He leaves his family and friends behind. He can't speak the language. He doesn't understand the culture. He has to arrange accommodation, find work and begin a whole new life without any support. And he manages to take your job. How shit are you?!
Going to use that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 19:38:33 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

snipsnip

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 20:00:41 »
I wonder what planet u live on OllieC, you might not have a problem with immigration but this country does.  Australia would be a good example for this country to follow.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 21:36:50 »
I wonder what planet u live on OllieC, you might not have a problem with immigration but this country does.  Australia would be a good example for this country to follow.

Snipsnip, this country has a problem with illegal immigration especially when some Companies employ these people so they can pay them below the minimum wage, get away with paying tax and NI so they get bigger profits for themselves.

The immigrants that are legitimately here are necessary.  Where would the NHS be without doctors, dentists, nurses and other workers who have come here from abroad?  There are many other professions where their skills, expertise or willingness to work makes them necessary and welcome.

Why should we follow Australia?  They have had such an influx of immigration that the indigenous population is now only 2.6 %.  Should the Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders now send back all those people that settled in their country in the past 400 years?  Britain would really be overcrowded then!  Yet it is the settlers that seem to be the most racially prejudiced and for that reason alone I for one would rather live here in a multicultural society than suffer some of the prejudices shown by many Australians.

At the end of the day we are all Homo Sapiens and all originate from Africa.  

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 21:38:47 by Paulines7 »

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 21:44:01 »
And it's OK for our economic migrants to go and exploit the so-called third world countries, arm both sides of their wars, yes we do, especially in Africa, but we don't want to educate "them" or have "them" work and live here, we don't want to give "them" refuge when they escape some terrible events.  Too many people have daily mail attitudes and actually believe what they read in the daily mail.

This is probably the most xenophobic country I have lived in.
The Tuscan Beaneater

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 21:48:27 »
I will be watching.  You always hear and read about many other parties on TV, some of who's policies have not exactly been in the interests of the nation. If we are the democratic society we portray ourselves to be then all parties have the right to be heard.  Demonstrators at the BBC building are no different - they have the right to demonstrate, just as the BNP who are currently a legitimate party have the right to voice their opinions.  If  you do not want them in power then don't vote.  If you don't vote then don't whinge. The end.  (That is me exercising my democratic right to freedom of speech to which every legitimate UK citizen is entitled)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 22:17:42 »
Half a life ago, (mid to late nineties) I shared a student flat with some 'ethnic-minorities', people who the BNP membership believed didn't 'belong'; these were hard-working, dedicated, focused individuals who were working their behinds off to get through uni & gain professional accreditation. We had human excrement smeared on the door and stuffed through the letterbox, along with alcohol soaked rags & Bic lighters. BNP & NF calling cards were also stuck to the door, with razor blade fragments embedded within; guess the damage caused to the first person who tried to remove that rubbish? :(

After all that, do I think the BNP should be denied a voice? No. Give them enough rope & they will ultimately hang themselves. :-X Our efforts are better spent encouraging up and coming voters to engage with the political system & challenge the parties seeking their votes; sadly, getting apathetic adults to engage their brains and ask difficult questions is a more difficult task. :(   

So, yes, tonight I will be watching, but I'll probably be screaming at the TV. 

/End rant.

snipsnip

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 23:10:03 »
pauline7 this country just has a problem but hope you feel better for having your say and pointing things out to me.

ktlawson sounds the most reasonable  and sensible person on this discussion

What an emotive subject

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:16 »
Well, that was entertaining - you'd feel sorry for him if he had any redeeming features. I'm still trying to work out what a militant homosexual is!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2009, 08:31:45 »
Great telly! The odious man showed himself to be a complete idiot.

"Non-violent branch of the KKK"... please!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 09:21:48 »

I have apologised to Cleo via PM for what might have seemed like overreating
You'll get fat ;D

Hmm, unfortunately just as applicable, lol

Well, that was entertaining - you'd feel sorry for him if he had any redeeming features. I'm still trying to work out what a militant homosexual is!

Entertaining it was, lol.  Still a bit disappointing though because even though he's a despicable plum (for want of better words!) I wish the opportunity had been taken to really challenge him and show him for what he is instead of aiming questions at him that were totally expected (by him and the viewer) Oh and the waffle - can any politician actually give a direct answer to a straight forward question?  Sigh.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 09:55:08 »
Though that there was too much on the same subject.  The panel are supposed to be answering questions on topical issues not becoming the issue themselves.

Was very impressed by Baroness Karsi: a real peach of a person to compare to his
despicable plum

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2009, 10:23:48 »
best one I heard was Griffin = "Adolf Brent".  Terrible cheap suit as well!

Sholls

• Acre
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:03 »
No screaming at the TV from me, just excessive eye rolling. I watched whilst reading the Question Time Twitter trending topic. There were some priceless comments e.g.

The campaign to get Nick Griffin on Who Do You Think You Are starts now!

And, in response to Griffin's comment re "militant homosexuals"...
Quote from: A well known personality
Same-sex kissing flashmob outside BNP Headquarters, 31st October. Who's in?
This one in particular is getting a lot of attention.

I always enjoy Bonnie Greer's contributions, but last night she was outstanding. Hopefully QT will be less of a circus next week. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:50 »
Hahaha, love the idea of the same sex snog flashmob!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2009, 18:42:50 »

Nick Griffin says he was the victim of a set-up in which the format of the current affairs debate show was changed "after 30 years".

He said: "That was not genuine Question Time, that was a lynch mob."

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2009, 18:51:06 »
So he's against minorities being picked on? This guy needs to make up his mind!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal