Author Topic: your nicked!!......or so we thought?  (Read 1644 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
your nicked!!......or so we thought?
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:15:44 »
Elaine Squires was ordered from her shower after police raided the wrong house

A woman was ordered out of her own bathroom dressed only in a towel...when drug squad officers stormed the wrong house.
Elaine Squires was in the shower at her home in Inkerman Street, Preston, when police used a battering ram to smash the door open.

Her terrified daughter Erin, 22, was downstairs using the computer when officers flooded into the house at around 11.50am on Friday last week.

Mrs Squires, a governor at the nearby Roebuck School in Inkerman Street, says her terrified daughter had to be restrained by officers as she tried to run outside.

It was only when Mrs Squires had been ordered out of her bathroom by police that the officers realised a mistake had been made.

Mrs Squires, who is disabled, said: "It was the most terrifying thing we have ever been through.

"We have noisy neighbours anyway and I was wondering why they were slamming the door so many times, then I just heard my daughter shout up, 'The police are here!'"

Police demanded Mrs Squires, who was wrapped in just a towel, come out of the bathroom.

"Seconds later, the officers realised they had made a mistake.

"One of them handed me my dressing gown and in the meantime I could hear the sergeant shouting 'Out, out'," she said.

"Erin had told them our names and our address and they realised they had got the wrong house. Their excuse was there was no number on the door but there are door numbers a couple of doors down – can they not count?"

Mrs Squires says her daughter, a nursery nurse, is "still shaking" after the ordeal.

She added that it will cost her around £110 for an emergency fix on her front door, although she will be reimbursed for that by police.

A spokesman for Lancashire Constabulary said: "This was a genuine mistake and our neighbourhood policing team have spoken to the lady at length and we have given an unreserved apology.

"In this instance the warrant was intended for an adjacent property where drugs paraphernalia was recovered

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:25:39 by jimtheworzel »

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Re: your nicked!!......or so we thought?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:28 »
And it does happen it happened across the road ! they where ment to raid the close not the road ! scared a whole family half to death !

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:17:45 »
no number on the door

I thought we had a duty to display house number clearly. 

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:42:01 »
Lucky for them they got a lie-in. It was about 6 in the morning when we were raided. We had to pay for the repairs ourselves too, even though nothing was found and I was never convicted of anything!

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:57 »
I've also had a wake up call from the police - they took 1 look at us (students) and said wrong house and wrong information  ::)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:15 »
My work before I retired was  visiting homes, and nothing was more frustrating than those without a clearly displayed number.  On a cold wet day I certainly did not expext to count down from  nearby houses.  Sorry but all delivery/ callers etc will tell you the same.  How would you expect a Doctor to  find you on a dark night?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:19 »
Forgot to say - they also quite happily left my 8 month pregnant wife with the door hanging off it's hinges to sort out the repairs herself (I was erm, otherwise occupied by then...).

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 00:21:53 »
Lucky for them they got a lie-in. It was about 6 in the morning when we were raided. We had to pay for the repairs ourselves too, even though nothing was found and I was never convicted of anything!

You should have reported "Criminal Damage". I would have put a big notice next to the broken door saying "the Police did this".
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal