Author Topic: Just Malice  (Read 2912 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Just Malice
« on: September 19, 2009, 20:51:52 »
Hi Guys,

Got a very sorry tale for you all.

History first :- moved from the area my allotment is in 4 months ago it was all planted with spuds and things which can be harvested around now. Having agreed with the parish clerk that we had till the end of september to clear the plot.

The plot next to mine (close friends) also moved within weeks of us and had the same agreement with on exception. 1/2 there plot was going to be given to another allotment holder his plot was one of the ones distroyed by the weed killer incident and the plan was that if nothing grew this year he would move to 1/2 of my fiends and had been keeping both our plots watered and under control while we visited occasionally.

2 Weeks ago we got a report that the fruiting plants were almost ready to harvest as were the spuds so planned a visit up what would have been next weekend.

The story begins ....

Wednesday i happened to stop in at the parish office as it was on my way home from a meeting and the clerk informed me as far as he was concerned our plots were given up on the 1st sept not the end! (the allotment tennancy letters where on his desk at this point) and he told me that he had not give 1/2 the plot to the other allotment holder in fact they have no plot for him and he not has to join the bottom of the waiting list if he wants another plot!

A little shocked i went to the lotty to check on thing thinking maybe i can harvest a few things and get up to the plot this saturday to clear things earlier than i had planned. My shock turned to anger to find my plot had been strimmed to nothing all the plants gone and all my tools stolen in fact everything of any value was gone when it was there 2 weeks before !

I checked my neighbours plot and theres was strimmed but most of there plants and tools were still there.

As there was nothing to harvest i took a few nick nacks in the car and called my 2 friends to tell tell them what had happened and we arranged to meet this morning at midday.

Not thinking anything else would happen as the clerk had been informed by writing and person we were going to be there saturday to be greated by plumes of smoke rising from my plot.

They had removed the cage around the leaf mould and put it over a bed i had potatoes in and set fire to anything that would burn on both our plots. And our friends shed had been emptyed and chairs taken.

They had even tried strimming an apple, pear and plum tree !!

Another allotment holder came over to see what the smoke was and when we explained they said they had seen the parish maintance people setting the fire thursday and were surprised it was still burning!

The new tennant had moved into my plot and there tools were in the shed :(

All i have managed to salvage from my plot of many years is

1 Gooseberry Bush
1 Comfry plant
1 Red currant Bush
1 Thornless Boysenberry

We were all angry and upset the clerk was supposed to call me thursday and did not and we have now found out the tennancy agreements have been posted and the tennants of our plots are yes you guessed it parish council staff!

cam

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Just Malice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 21:24:03 »
So sorry to hear this cam.  I know how heart-breaking it is when stuff is damaged / vandalised / stolen from a plot.  It must be even more frustrating when the culprits are the people who are supposed to be upholding the rules.  I'd guess they banked on you going quietly and not making a fuss as you were moving away from the area.  As I see it you have two choices.  You can put the whole nasty business behind you and get on with your new house/garden/plot/baby or you can fight them to get back what's yours or some compensation for what they've destroyed.  Only you know what's best for you.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 21:40:38 »
aaaww camb,this is horrid,so sorry to hear,i second the sound advice from ceres,and i wish you luck whatever you choose to do
r
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 22:30:28 »
Thats horrible, i feel for you. I think i'd be gunning for someone.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 22:47:09 »
i have just sent an email to the clerk stating my grevience they have actualy breached my tennancy agreement in 3 places as well as the allotment act and the envionmental act (fire had plastic and rubber backed carpets in etc)

I am coping it to the local community support officer as well :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 22:52:49 »
So sorry to hear this Louise. Not what you need right now!
Anne  xxx

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 23:03:52 »
yes 4 plants is not a great showing for 3 years work is it i had dug up my rhubarb crowns on wednesday but ran out of room in the car to take them and guess they went on the fire :(

I cant believe the damage 2 weeks ago i had a wall of brambles 6 red currant bushes almost ready to harvest 4 beds of spuds, a bed of shallots, a bed of carrots/beetroots and a bed of herbs and there gone!

I cant believe i should have taken all the tools of my friends plot on wedneday when i was there then they might have at least had them saved....

I know i will never have another allotment i dont mind the work, the weeds, the slugs its the betrayal and lack of trust that get to me!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 23:20:56 »
 That is so very nasty, i hope they get there cumuppance?, in that nothing grows the 1st year for them, but it will of course.

I am so sorry for you please do not let it get you down , you have another production to think about  ;D ;D ;D.
Take care  Rosebud x.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:42:59 »
Cambourne, I am really sorry. I have read a lot of your posts and remember your photographs of a beautifully worked allotment with raised beds, woodchip paths, masses of things growing.

This is clearly deliberate theft by dishonest people in an undeserved position of power. I don't know which would make you more miserable - moving on without doing anything but  having to live with the resentment  and mistrust that prevents you from enjoying allotment life again - or putting all that effort into exposing them and getting some compensation at least for yourself and your friend.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:19 »
I think you have to make a decision to put it all behind you or fight to the end.  It will be a good idea to keep copies of everything and use recorded post.
I feel furious for you.  I was carjacked coming from my previous allotment and still feel angry about the tools etc. I lost .

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 21:07:23 »
Would the local paper be interested, it could make the nationals with all the interest in allotments ATM.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 22:18:31 »
I`m afraid I would take revenge on the swines and sprayer their gardens with weed killer. I know it would not bring back all your stuff but at least they will feel the hurt that you are going through

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:57:48 »
thanks guys come back from holiday and found a letter from the parish clerk stating that they did not set the fire  ( i have witnesses who say they did ) and they have put the items from my shed into storage i guess this is after its been ransacked.

They have also stupidly tried to amend the the contract for new allotment holders to try and dictate when the plot is given up which is in breach of the Allotments Act 1922 which is not enforceable.

There is another couple affected and were going to fight it all the way were not going to let them get away with this.

I am waiting to hear from the local council legal people to see if if they have also breached local statute as they are giving people verbal permission to have chickens on there plot whilst there contract says they cant have chickens. By not putting anything into writing they can turn the tables on people and kick them off the plots. The local council are the one who wanted the clause in the tenancy agreement regarding no chickens.

Generally there a bunch of muppets.

little lurcher

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 13:20:23 »
totally out of order!!! i sought legal advice on my issue and am awaiting a reply to letters sent so far

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal