Author Topic: Woodchip paths  (Read 1419 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
Woodchip paths
« on: October 18, 2009, 13:20:07 »
I don't have enough plastic to go under the woodchip fo all my paths. Would just putting woodchip directly onto the grass paths be a waste of time?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Woodchip paths
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 13:24:02 »
I don't have enough plastic

I use compost bags!

Cut them up either side and you end up with a strip around 5ft long and roughly path width!

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 19:02:10 »
Thanks Tee Gee. I didn't get a chance to reply earlier as I was being hassled out of the door, but we used that tip today!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 18:12:51 »
I don't have enough plastic to go under the woodchip fo all my paths. Would just putting woodchip directly onto the grass paths be a waste of time?

Yes follow Tee Gee's tip or use weed membrane because the weeds will just grow straight thru the woodchip.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:04:53 »
It depends on the types of weeds you have. If they are perennial then they will grown straight through. Annuals should be ok if you use a thick layer.

We use woodchips, but have a good 3 inch layer which we keep topped up. No annual weeds. We did get the off bits of bindweed coming through at first, but I zapped them by painting on glyphosphate and that has finished them off. This area was very weedy before, but we did clear by pulling out all the roots and digging a number of times.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 17:58:35 »
My woodchip paths, thank you Enfield Council, are once again grass paths.  But must admit it did keep the weeds down for a few months, then the grass wins.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 18:05:32 »
They will look nice for a time, but if you have couch grass it will grow through  no matter how thickly you put the chippings on.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal