Author Topic: Time to go I think  (Read 7681 times)

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Time to go I think
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 17:18:43 »
does it say anywhere that the closure was because his address has been given?
Ceres did not give a specific reason for locking the thread & has chosen not to comment on her reasons for doing so. That seems to be the way she is choosing to moderate the forum, there are 2 threads in the 'Allotment Movement' section which have been locked & moved due to a "temporary glitch" other threads have been locked & moved with similarly obscure reasons given. Only Ceres can say why she chooses to lock and/or move threads if she chooses not to then we can only speculate.
Several people participating in this thread have commented about a name & address being given which is why I addressed those points.

Im a mod on 2 other boards and it is possible to block and IP address as we have done it, all we have to do is check it every now and then to ensure it has not changed, works fine on a board twice the size of this one.
It is indeed possible to block an IP address & as I have already said it takes seconds to obtain a new IP. In fact it is possible for one person to simultaneously log on to multiple accounts each with their own IP address from the same computer. Clearly you haven't had to deal with anyone awkward on the boards you moderate, I have on several occasions.

Second and person in Uk should be aware that giving out the personal info another even if it is available internet is illegal in UK.
You may want to read the data protection act before making such a sweeping statement, nothing that was posted breached it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 17:28:18 by Baccy Man »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 18:07:09 »
In view of several remarks made about her here, and elsewhere, which I consider to have been somewhat offensive I would be rather surprised if Ceres comments anywhere on this forum again.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 18:11:27 »
In view of several remarks made about her here, and elsewhere, which I consider to have been somewhat offensive I would be rather surprised if Ceres comments anywhere on this forum again.

I hope not. I'm friends with her on fb as well as here, and would would always stick up for her, but I would also (as would she!) say when I disagree...

I thought this conversation was about modding in general (and how much of it is needed), not Ceres ???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 18:15:00 by OllieC »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 18:19:03 »
Ollie what is fb?

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 18:23:15 »
face book
You couldn't make it up!

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 18:24:04 »
Ollie what is fb?

Facebook I think Flighty :)
Life is to short !!!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 18:26:47 »
Tony and Wilko thanks, as you may have guessed I'm not a member there!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 18:50:48 »
I say a thread has run its course when no one posts anymore.

A forum has run its course when mods start deleting or closing threads willy nilly.

Absolutely.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 19:31:40 »
Maybe is was a good thing that everyone had a bit of time to reflect.  It was quite possible to start a slightly different thread.

The thread should have been stopped when someones name and address appeared.  I think that there has been a lack of understand towards several people.

I fully believe that both Plainleaf2 and Ceres have been the subject of unnecessary posts.  Please folks be a little more understanding.

Ceres has only just taken on being a Moderator.  Yes she should have given a reason, but perhaps she just had a gut feeling.  After all referees do not necessarily have to explain themselves and they do not always have to be right.

Hunting with hounds is illegal and the quarry appears to have gone to ground.  I hope if it breaks cover again in the future everyone can be a little more welcoming.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2009, 19:42:16 »
Tell me if I'm missing something, but wasn't the original thread locked because it's sole purpose was to snide about another poster?  That's not healthy, OK.

I think some of you owe Ceres an apology.

And next time, please just flounce, don't announce.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 19:55:13 »
Actually the thread was closed after I was explaining why I felt that other poster should be given a bit more space.  But I agree with her the whole thing had got out of hand.

Please so not think that my post above is saying that I think Ceres was wrong, but that any referree may be allowed to be wrong.

She made a decision and I felt a bit frustrated at the time but in hindsight it gave a bit of space for reflection.

mike77

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 23:22:51 »
Cornykev summed it up perfectly for me

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 18:25:43 »
I agree with Mike77.    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.