Author Topic: Time to go I think  (Read 7680 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Time to go I think
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 09:24:01 »
Me too, I have largely stopped reading the forum over the last few weeks when it became apparent that anyone ever posting about Aminopolyprid would be quashed / ridiculed by Ceres in a 'I own that topic and I'm a prefect' kind of way.

Seems to be a bit of poacher turned gamekeeper going on unfortunately.
Best laid plans and all that

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:47:17 »
This forum has to have moderators otherwise a few people would take great delight in causing chaos and turning it into a complete shambles!
Whoever does the job has a thankless task at the best of times and I think that we should be grateful that there are people who are prepared to do it. 
Many won't agree with what they do but I doubt that the detractors could do any better, and would probably find that if they were doing it that they'd get slated in just the same way.
Sadly I think that there have too many rather petty comments on this, and some other topics, here recently.
However I still think that's it's a good forum and I'm quite happy to openly support, and thank, the moderators for doing their best to keep it that way.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:40 »
Well said, Flighty!

Being "in charge" of anything is a thankless task. But someone has to do it, and I'm very glad it's not me.

Can we all stop bickering and get back to gardening now, please?

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:06 »
Me too, I have largely stopped reading the forum over the last few weeks when it became apparent that anyone ever posting about Aminopolyprid would be quashed / ridiculed by Ceres in a 'I own that topic and I'm a prefect' kind of way.

Seems to be a bit of poacher turned gamekeeper going on unfortunately.

Hi all

I've really valued this forum and hopefully will do for some time to come - it really is worth it.  My own opinion is maybe moderators need to be aware that a wide range of opinion is what makes this site work and is its greatest asset - any feeling that our opinions are quashed/picked to pieces will surely signal the beginning of the end.  Its the users that make this site - if you want to be a mod then surely the best compliment is that no-one really notices you.  I'm not sure that is always the case.

I hope we all regain a sense of humour and live and let live.

Psi

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 13:26:52 »
you can certainly over moderate and cause more problems with that - perhaps it would have been a good idea to have had a referendum about it

being an owner of a forum myself I believe moderation should be 'invisible', i.e. there are always better ways of curtailing a discussion

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 13:44:44 »
I say a thread has run its course when no one posts anymore.
And so do i.
I agree ;D ;D
Me too.
And me.

I thought the new Mods were there to fire fight any "Emergencies" in Dans absence..

"HES BACK" was not an emergency and should have been left to the discretion of Dan.
(or maybe it was (?) which is why it ran until  a Mod-ette closed it.

If an individual post was out of hand, surly, just modify/remove that post. Not the whole thread.

I'd be interested to know what Dan's view is .

... if you want to know the (out of date) details about me, you have to pay $14.95.

I'd happily pay $14.95 to hear a little less detail of ACE's personal life.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 13:49:42 by Slug_killer »
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 14:07:47 »
I fail to see why a discussion about Grid Gardener should be closed.  He is a well known troll, flamer and sock puppet who has been causing trouble on a number of boards for years.  He has had over 30 incarnations on the Beeb alone.

Whether or not his behaviour is a result or a personality disorder or a brain malfunction the fact remains that he delights in upsetting people, being rude, obnoxious and hurtful to anyone who dares to argue with him. 

New posters and those who do not immediately recognise his latest persona need to be warned about him since moderators across the boards seem unable to prevent his popping up again in a new guise.
Obxx - Vendée France

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 15:03:45 »
The issue seems to be about his name & address. Yet he openly gives his real name & hometown in profile information on numerous forums & other types of website all of which can be found in a few minutes if you have the inclination to look for it.
His address was never given out, a link to the US equivalent of directory enquiries was posted but his address was never quoted or linked too. Anyone who has chosen to look up his address has done so off their own back & could of done so wether the link to whitepages had been posted or not.
I fail to see what the problem is.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 15:29:29 »
Surely it is the principle?

OK that guy may deserve what he gets but what if all over the forum someone decides they don't like such and such and they make clear the clues left to their ident and location.

I doubt if many people would be comfortable if that was normal practise and would hesitate to post.

How many of us would be so free with our opinions if you had to say it to that persons face?

I think it would be a dangerous practise.

We all have different opinions and the mod is there to do just that.Moderate.

I do not think Ceres has done anything wrong.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 15:42:41 »
ain,t we just suppose to be gardening folk getting tips ??

not moaning on here  :-X :-X
i don't belive death is the end

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 16:23:14 »
IT's the shed Graceland, thats where the folks come to moan, its that time of year when its getting too dark or cold or people are a bit under the weather to spend more time on their lottie. So they come on here more to moan and groan. We'll be moaning about kids begging on Halloween soon, then the fireworks saga which we have every year, although thats started early this year. But argue away, it shouldn't be a problem, but some peeps do get a bit to personal, I can see both sides of the arguement but I don't think Baccy has done anything wrong, read what he actually says, the mods will never be right what ever they do, but I do think it was unecessary to halt the thread, Merry Xmas, CK  .I forgot to add, while your all argueing he has no need to post , your doing the job for him. :P      ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 16:34:47 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 16:23:26 »
In my opinion and thats all it is. Everytime this person posts on here there is disharmony. I admit that I did take the bait this time and answered one of their posts. In future I am going to ignore such and get on with the nicer parts of this forum.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 16:28:31 »
This person can be blocked via his IP address ! that would end all the trouble, no matter what he decideds to call himself the ip address wil be blocked !
Time to stop the in fighting and get back to rubbing along together and sharing lottie tips and advice, life is to short to fight in cyber space !

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 16:37:57 »
So the cretin's won has he? Long-term members have gone off in a huff; the mods have got it in the neck for taking a stand; even Dan's being attacked.

This is The Shed, not The Watershed - it's open to non-members. Would you join with all this going on?

Can I assure non-members - this forum IS worth joining. It's a mine of information. I personally couldn't have got through the last two years of difficult Secretary-ship without it. And I know that newcomers to allotments & gardening find it brilliant.

And we can't let it be wrecked by one person. He's a trouble-maker. Ignore him - all of you!!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 16:39:31 »
Because I just whizz in and out at work I miss a lot of excitement and drama!  

It has taken me ages today to reckon what is going on!!

Stil - as has been said - not much to do up the lottie so everyone is a bit at a loose end really!

I hope that the site returns to normal - a bit of a moan here and grumble there and the odd bit of sniping - all done in impeccably good taste of course!

Hopefully all will be back to normal soon!

Old Bird

;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 16:46:49 »
This person can be blocked via his IP address ! that would end all the trouble, no matter what he decideds to call himself the ip address wil be blocked !

No he can't banning IP's or email addresses is only effective against bots not people.
The majority of people have dynamic IP adresses if his is blocked obtaining a new one can be as simple as switching his modem off & on again or he could use a proxy. Blocking his email address would be similarly ineffective as there are so many companies offering free email accounts. A cookie based ban can be easily removed by clearing your browsers cache.

There are ways to deal with persistent trolls but it is usually a time consuming process.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 16:52:04 »
can i ask a stupid question please
does it say anywhere that the closure was because his address has been given?
i would have thought that (him) threatening people would have been enough?
or have i missunderstood, maybe "As for me going to UK in 2012 that will be to sell my book and deal with a few trouble makers I encountered on several boards. " isnt a threat?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 16:55:51 »
Just came back on here and the main topic of conversation is Guess Who and they haven't even posted today. ::)
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 17:00:40 »
Im a mod on 2 other boards and it is possible to block and IP address as we have done it, all we have to do is check it every now and then to ensure it has not changed, works fine on a board twice the size of this one.
Why let one person mess up a great site ???

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 17:16:56 »
First off saying i will dealing with few trouble maker is not making a threat. Saying a person will commit acts against a person or property of someone is a threat.
Second and person in Uk should be aware that giving out the personal info another even if it is available internet is illegal in UK.
Third persons in USA can legal own and carry firearms in many case that are not legal in UK.
Fourth injuring a stalker or someone planning  to attack you in USA is not crime.
Fifth I live 100 miles from a rural area with one of highest  unreported  murder rates in USA.
Sixth the area is mountains 1000 miles long.
Seventh most you have your allotment location posted on you profiles.
Eighth responding to personal attack is not being a troll.
Ninth you all started by attack me first. So if don't want me to respond in kind don't attack me.in other words(if can't stand the heat don't play with fire.)
Tenth good bye mister troll you will not missed.
Eleventh fights and disagreement from other message boards should stay there and not be brought to this board.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 17:30:15 by plainleaf2 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal