Author Topic: Storing Carrots  (Read 1148 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Storing Carrots
« on: October 11, 2009, 17:54:45 »
For the first time ever I have had a decent crop of carrots. Almost too good in fact. Went a bit mad with seed sowing and have ended up with a big glut of them. Some are now showing signs of deterioration in the ground so I was wondering what was best to do with them, ie the best way to store them over the winter and make full use of the crop.

I know the traditional way is is  in a clamp, but no way do i have room for one and to be honest even if i did i dont have quite enough carrots to make it worth the effort. So what options are there?

Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Storing Carrots
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 18:10:27 »
we use those plastic storage boxes and damp potting compost, did it last year with carrots, beetroot, parsnips and celeriac..it worked fine(kept in the garage) so we've started doing the same this year  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 19:01:49 »
I was going to suggest buckets and compost too... works for JA's as well...
and Parsnips for when the ground is frozen solid...  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 19:17:49 »
we use those plastic storage boxes and damp potting compost, did it last year with carrots, beetroot, parsnips and celeriac..it worked fine(kept in the garage) so we've started doing the same this year  :)

Do things ever freeze in your garage?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 19:59:12 »
no, Grannie..the boiler is in there and we have the containers up on staging, it worked well last year and it was quite cold, we ate the last of the carrots in march, I think the celeriac and beetroot until april/may but we were only eating the new leaves off the beetroot then  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 20:48:27 »
no, Grannie..the boiler is in there and we have the containers up on staging, it worked well last year and it was quite cold, we ate the last of the carrots in march, I think the celeriac and beetroot until april/may but we were only eating the new leaves off the beetroot then  :)
Our garage can freeze sometimes so I was thinking of burying a plastic container with the parsnips in it...not looking forward to digging that in, or out.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal