Author Topic: safely home, (just)  (Read 3087 times)

ACE

• Hectare
safely home, (just)
« on: October 10, 2009, 21:28:17 »
Got back from the frozen wastelands today, a bit of frostbite and chilblains are playing up, but what an eye opener! Ingleton was very nice but why do people want to disappear down holes in the ground for? Trekking up and down Dale, wind blowing a hooly, frosty mornings, Kinell! I had to have a couple of their prize winning pies to put me right. At least the showers on the site were hot but always empty. (I suppose they all use tin baths anyway).

Blackpool, Well if that's what floats yer boat, you are welcome to it. But I had to see it to make up my own mind. The luminations are different and must be magical for the kids, but for an old fart like me I would enjoy them more with a different temperature.

Had to stop in Brum for a couple of days to do a bit of business on the way home it was 2 degrees warmer than Blackpool, just got home this afternoon in full sunshine and it was still 18 degrees at 8 oclock.

Shorts back on tomorrow and work on my tan for another couple of weeks. It will be a long time until I am foolish enough to venture up to ekkythump country again

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Re: safely home, (just)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 21:50:30 »
HI ACE
i live 15 miles from blackpool. not been for years
its the smell puts me off
dog SH%TE   and fish and chips
 ;D ;D ;D

J.T.W
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 21:58:16 by jimtheworzel »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 21:59:49 »
Couldn't agree with you more about Blackpool ACE.  Assend-by-the-Sea.  It is a dreadful tawdry, tacky place.  The hotels, B&Bs and 'guesthouses' are way overpriced, all riding on the back of the 'lights', which in turn are a bit tacky and tawdry.

Brum isn't bad as a shopping centre, but to live no no.  There are much better towns and cities in the area.

We haven't had our first frost yet (North Staffs), but I've a feeling it's not too long away.  Anyway OH's shorts have been 'put away for the Winter'.

Are you the same generation as him.  As a child couldn't wait to get out of short trousers into long trousers.  Now each year can't wait to get back into the shorts.

valmarg

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 22:28:54 »
You've got to be a bit sorry for Soft Southerners Like ACE - they haven't had the benefit of our disadvantages

didn't Jeremy Clarkson say that Birmingham was like a Rugby player's bath after they let the water out? Nothing in the middle, and a ring of scum round the outside.......

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 23:55:28 »
Did you take the nice weather with you and bring it back yesterday?  We arrived on the 2nd, left yesterday and it rained for 3/7 days and the sun shone for just 2!  Love the IoW though and was sad to leave :(  Definitely think twice about using Red Funnel again too as our ferry was cancelled and nobody told us - left waiting to board for two and a half hours last night! Grrrrr. 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 00:39:24 »
Ha! Returned from Dales today, had a brilliant hiking week. Tues the only cruddy day. Can't beat the pubs and the grub. Ingleton is lovely. Up Ingleborough is better, no need to go down a pot hole. ;D ;) Missed out Blackpool, only went when we took the kids to give them a day off from walking. If it were possible I would decamp there tomorrow. God's own country without a doubt.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 00:43:46 by Emagggie »
Smile, it confuses people.

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 01:03:57 »

Brum isn't bad as a shopping centre, but to live no no.  There are much better towns and cities in the area.

didn't Jeremy Clarkson say that Birmingham was like a Rugby player's bath after they let the water out? Nothing in the middle, and a ring of scum round the outside.......

Blimey, you two are brave ...
Just wondering how long it will take Betula to get on here and take her usual offence against anywhere or anything shes been or seen.

When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:26:27 »
Did you take the nice weather with you and bring it back yesterday?  We arrived on the 2nd, left yesterday and it rained for 3/7 days and the sun shone for just 2!  Love the IoW though and was sad to leave :(  Definitely think twice about using Red Funnel again too as our ferry was cancelled and nobody told us - left waiting to board for two and a half hours last night! Grrrrr. 

Ah well! If you read your ticket it gives a phone number to check if the services are running on time. They never are, so a quick phone call and a re-book and all is sorted. I managed to get home 2 hours earlier instead of sitting on the dock for a couple of hours. What with the dock being in East Cowes it is even worse, 'cause if the world had piles, that's where they would be.
Ha! Returned from Dales today, had a brilliant hiking week. Tues the only cruddy day. Can't beat the pubs and the grub. Ingleton is lovely. Up Ingleborough is better,  If it were possible I would decamp there tomorrow. God's own country without a doubt.

I jest, the place is lovely and I have to agree with you. I'll be back.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:42 »
We live in Birmingham and all I want to say is if the soils good then it suits me and Tone ;D ;D ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 13:19:23 »
Blackpool is also not my cup of tea. My Dad was from there and mum and dad moved back there years ago - they hated it immediately!

What's sad is that anything old and quaint (the sort of thing we like these days) has always been knocked down. They don't look back, always forward. So my mum remembers old fisherman's cottages being demolished and an art deco swimming pool was demolished to make a carpark.

And when they closed one of the stations they built Europe's largest carpark on top of it.
For me, Britain's largest carpark tells me everything I need to know about a town's aspirations.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 17:03:49 »
Hope you drove carefully through Blackpool, Ace. I'd never had a single penalty in 30+ years of driving, then got two speeding tickets in 2 days when i was there last year visiting my Dad in hospital. >:(

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 22:24:49 »

Ah well! If you read your ticket it gives a phone number to check if the services are running on time. They never are, so a quick phone call and a re-book and all is sorted. I managed to get home 2 hours earlier instead of sitting on the dock for a couple of hours. What with the dock being in East Cowes it is even worse, 'cause if the world had piles, that's where they would be.

There wasn’t one on our ‘e-ticket’ but I have to say that even if there had been, I wouldn’t have checked, lol.  Had never really occurred to me as in all the years we’ve been back and forth to the IoW, there’s never been a ferry hiccup.  When the stewards (?) came to see us in the queue they said that it had been cancelled on the Wednesday and all customers had been contacted by phone – well, not us!  Not to worry really, because it wasn’t a huge inconvenience but had we known, we’d have either gotten there early in the afternoon or nearer to the time of the ferry we ended up on is all.  By the way, the phone signal was dreadful for about 75% of the Island – they probably couldn’t have gotten through if they’d tried!  Yes, Cowes not that nice.  I’ve always liked Shanklin & Ventnor myself.  My word, some of the houses/bungalows on our journeys were fabulous!

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 22:30:42 »
Couldn't agree with you more about Blackpool ACE.  Assend-by-the-Sea.  It is a dreadful tawdry, tacky place.  The hotels, B&Bs and 'guesthouses' are way overpriced, all riding on the back of the 'lights', which in turn are a bit tacky and tawdry.

valmarg

I've only ever been to Blackpool for 2-3 days at a time and only for the obvious things; seaside, rides, amusements etc and I've always really had fun.  I haven't been for quite some time though and I'm guessing I wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of days at a time there either.

I would have used the multiquote for one post but for some reason my flipping computer and/or browser won't let me!!  >:(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:02:24 »
Not been to I.O.W ...yet. I am promised a trip next year and looking forward to planning it.  :D

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:11:28 »
Not been to I.O.W ...yet. I am promised a trip next year and looking forward to planning it.  :D
Ya will need jabs ;D

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 12:09:42 »
Last time I went to Blackpool I needed an extra long course of anti-biotics.  :o
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 12:24:30 »
Ya will need jabs ;D
or maybe an infusion of medicinal alcohol? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal