Author Topic: How long do chilli plants last?  (Read 9366 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
How long do chilli plants last?
« on: October 11, 2009, 13:07:56 »
I've just moved my chilli plants into the greenhouse to overwinter and was wondering how long a plant is good for - any ideas?

Cheers
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: How long do chilli plants last?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 20:11:14 »
My Tepin has just enjoyed it's third and most productive summer ever! 
Year 1 - no flowers or fruit. 
Year 2 - about 30 fruit
Year 3 - Have picked over 400 fruit and there are as many again on there!!!!

I am obviously going to look after my plant again this winter and see what she manages next year!

Helen x

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 00:07:55 »
If it gets really cold I don't think the chilli plants will survive in the greenhouse. Better indoors, cut right back to a few inches after fruiting and kept on the dry side till around February when a weak dose of fertiliser will soon bring them back to growth - and they'll fruit earlier than starting new plants from seed. My peppadews are kept indoors and are three years old.

Tricia

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:18:30 »
@Tinkie_Bear
I was wondering why my Tepin was such a failure.  First year - tiny little fruits, not many of em and not ripe either.
May I ask what you do with yours over the Winter?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:29:04 »
The Biscombe guide to overwintering!

If you don't have a heated greenhouse with plenty of light or a sunny windowsill cut the plants back to a stump when It looks like they have had enough of growing this season.

I trim the roots (others don't) and repot into a smaller pot with some fresh compost to save space.

Keep them out frost. They will grow back in the spring and you'll have a head start.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:21 »
Cheers Biscombe.

The tepin chilli is advertised as a perennial while most others are not - just wondered if the tepin required anything extra...

Ill bring it in and trim it back together with one of the 5 colour and see what happens. 

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:05:45 »
If it's not a silly question, when you say "cut it down (to a stump)", just how brutal are you? 

The first time I tried overwintering I did that and killed the plant off; the second time I didn't prune at all and it survived - but maybe it wasn't the best way to manage the plant. 

This year I am trying to overwinter 2 jalapeno varieties and want to try to get it right as, not having a greenhouse or the best weather in the UK (we are in Yorkshire), a head start next year would be nice.

Best regards,
Sue

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 13:26:30 »
If it's not a silly question, when you say "cut it down (to a stump)", just how brutal are you? 

Not silly at all, about 5 inches

staris

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 13:40:59 »
if you cut them back to a stump do you still need to give them water over the winter ?

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 20:23:39 »
My Tepin spends the winter in the spare bedroom, in a bucket!  I don't have much heating in the room and there's little or no direct sun light but there's a big window so it's not dark dark in there.  I water them when I remember, usually once every couple of weeks.  I did give them a radical hair cut, down to about 1/3rd of their size if that helps.  Even with massive amounts of care and attention some will live and some will die but it's got to be worth a try if you have space!

Good Luck

Helen x

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:37 »
Cheers Helen - Ill bring mine in and give it a going over with the scissors..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal