Author Topic: Is our site unique?  (Read 1834 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Is our site unique?
« on: October 06, 2009, 17:11:03 »
Next year we celebrate our 100th anniversary, so we're hoping to do something to mark it. (My idea of compulsory Morris Dancing in the local shopping centre didn't meet with quite the enthusiasm I had envisaged....) I'm collecting information & photographs on our history, hoping that we might mount an exhibition in the local library.

But then I started thinking about our site, compared to other allotment sites. We are totally independent, on land rented from the local Church Charity. I know there are plenty of you out there in a similar position. But we are not just an allotment site: we are a Smallholding & Allotment Society, with two smallholdings as part of the site, and part of the membership. (One is a working stables; the other used to be a working pig farm, but is now used for private stabling.)

I know that the 1908 Act - which obviously led to the formation of our Society - was The Smallholdings & Allotments Act. Also the model constitution, as published by NSALG, caters for the presence of both as part of the same set-up. But have any other societies actually got smallholdings as well as allotments, either now or in the past? I don't think I've ever come across any.

So, are we unique? Even if we're only fairly rare, it might make a good selling point in the publicity. (And I'm sure the members would be fascinated to find out if they were unique!)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Is our site unique?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 17:45:49 »
I've not heard of another site like yours.  Have you tried contacting the NSALG - they'd be the folks most likely to know, other than someone on a similar site.  You could put an article/letter in their mag asking the question.  Shame the pig farm is no more, must have been fun in it's heyday - bacon sarnies on legs!  We're 12 years away from being 100, equally interesting but different history to yours.

I'd have voted for the Morris dancing  ;)  Happy birthday when it comes around!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Is our site unique?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 17:59:03 »
100 years old how wonderful.  Our site will have its first birthday next year!!!

The locals of Witney set up an 'allotment' in the town centre as a protest, but perhaps you could set up one somewhere as a celebration.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal