Author Topic: Weeding new plot  (Read 2861 times)

kingkev

• Not So New ...
Weeding new plot
« on: October 06, 2009, 22:34:49 »
Hi, New to here and allotments so need some advice to start me off.  Been growing veg in my back yard here for years but now expanded to my own plot.   Plot is full of weeds, mainly bindweed, grass, dandelions and thistles and obviously want to rid of quickly, but safely (organic methods if possible).  Any tips appreciated
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 22:55:24 by kingkev »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Weeding new plot
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 22:38:18 »
Woops!  :)
Where did my long post reply go...  ???
OK got it it's in two areas...

kingkev

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 22:40:59 »
Woops!  :)
Where did my long post reply go...  ???
OK got it it's in two areas...

Like I said...new to here so finding my way!!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 22:41:27 »
I found it  ;D
Welcome to A4A Kev... the bindweed and thistles can be hard to dig out... Dandelions not too bad. Is the grass couch?
I'd be tempted to "nuke" it but at this time of year when the weeds aren't growing well it isn't always effective and not "organic".
If the site allows you to cover it you could go for the black plastic approach. I'd be tempted to strim it right down. Dig it roughly, for the larger roots, leave the frost to get at it and dig it again as soon as workable in Spring... then dig out any new growth regularly... just keeping the top off perennial weeds will wekaen them eventually..  :-\
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 22:58:40 »
mainly bindweed

I like you recently took on an allotment after years on my own in the back garden.  How you enjoy the community as much as I do.

Bindweed is a real pain.  Not found any organic solutions.  Its roots go quite deep and it is almost impossible to remove every trace.  Particularly a problem with perennial crops such as raspberries etc.  

After 24 organic years in my garden I resorted to roundup.  I wound up the plants when they were growing strongly and put into plastic bags and sprayed into the bag.    Only did it round the edges but it was extremely effective and covered a far wider area than I used the chemical.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 23:07:53 by Digeroo »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 00:41:42 »
I'm using the strim, cover with cardboard and a thick layer of manure over winter approach to part of my lottie that is a dandlion paradise...... ::)

We have made a few raised beds at the front of the plot, plan a few more when have enough wood, and have been painstakingly digging out the couch and dandelions that have multiplied over many years of just strimming by the previous tenant. Now I'm ready to re weed and plant two beds with overwintering alliums, the others have been close strimmed, covered with a thick layer of cardboard and about 10-15cm of manure. I'm letting them get well soaked by the rain, and will then cover them with black plastic overwinter and dig them over in the spring. Well, that's the plan so far.......I've got all the rest to sort out overwinter too, so it will be ready to plant up come March....... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 06:59:06 »
You make itsoundso easy, Deb! ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:25:39 »
You think?! My aching back suggests otherwise........!

I like the way Saddad says dandelions aren't that bad...they are the spawn of Satan as far as I'm concerned! As for couch....... >:( >:( >:(

I'll take some pics today to demonstrate what I'm on about........OH went to Tescos and asked the loading bay chaps for some cardbord boxes, came back with a car full, including a rather nice Christmas chocolate display that I'm going to use in the shed somehow, it's too nice to rip up! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:18 »
Deb i'd be very interested to see pics, this is the kind of thing i wanted to do with my beds once i get them in (got to sort out the initial taming of the plot first) but as i've only got fresh manure i cant do it this year instead i intend to green manure it.

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:46 »
You could use the fresh manure if you intended to leave it on overwinter and not grow in it until next year........I sometimes do that and then top the bed up (as the level will have shrunk down in that time) with some compost from my own bins, or used growbags if I'm not planning on growing the same sort of crop in them )eg, not putting it where I want to grow potatoes if I've grown tomatoes in them, they are from the same family and could spread disaese to the potatoes) and plant into that. Or you could use the fresh manure as a hotbed , put some soil and a coldframe over it and plant into that now, then the manure will be of some use to you overwinter and you can put it where you want in the spring! ;D

Where I want to plant this autumn I've dug out the weeds on those beds and will use some of my own compost as a soil improver, then manure them or use mushroom compost on them overwinter next year. Planning is the best fun....but I have tried hard this year to be organised early before the weather changes and I can't dig my heavy clay.... ::)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:00 »
you can dig the bulk out eventually.  Also I have found bind weed that remains in beds you can keep on top of if until crops come out by pulling as much up as you can - it seems to hate being constantly pulled.  There is hope!

Le-y

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:21 »
I definitely don't intend to plant anything (other than the idea of planting green manure) over winter so i can definitely use the fresh manure then deb?

does it go, soil, cardboard, manure?

then i definitely need to cover it?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 13:09:39 »
over winter so i can definitely use the fresh manure then deb?

Have you checked that the manure is safe?

Le-y

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 14:29:29 »
i've been assured that it is, including the bedding but how do i test it?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 15:05:59 by Le-y »

Le-y

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 15:05:32 »
s'alright i found the thread explaining the test going to purchase some b/bean seeds and test it

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 15:26:03 »
Righty ho, just back from the plot with photos to explain what I am on about.

This is the plot before I did anything to it.....

This was when we stripped the turf off, and perpared to make the raised beds in January....

However, illness prevented me from getting very far with it, so by summertime, most of our hard work was undone by the dreaded dandelions........!

The soil has been strimmed for ? years, so it very hard and compacted. OH spent hours digging over some beds, and yet this morning I've just spent an hour weeding one bed and getting the regrowth of couch and dandelions out, and that was after about 6 weeks! This is one bed almost finished so you can see what it looks like before and after.

Here are the beds with cardboard laid directly onto the soil, covered with manure. When it is all really wet , they will be covered up with black plastic overwinter. The two beds without manure are going to have 'home made' compost put on them, forked over and sown with shallots, garlic and onions later this month.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal