Author Topic: White Pumpkin  (Read 2484 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
White Pumpkin
« on: October 05, 2009, 16:20:25 »
Hi
I've come across recipes for White Pumpkin curry and at the same time I've also seen seeds for pumpkins that are white - Snowman from MoreVeg for 1.
So here's the dumb question - is the flesh pale or is it just the skin that is pale? Or is the white pumpkin curry recipe using a completely different kind of pumpkin?

And thanks for putting up with my questions  ::)  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: White Pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:24:09 »
I think most have a coloured flesh - orange or yellow. I have grown flat white boer which has orange flesh. I haven't grown any others as reviews of taste etc not very encouraging. I have like you seen recipes which indicate they make good used of all pumpkins and have specified varieties such as "Ghost", "lumina" etc.

Sorry I can't be more help.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:47 »
YOu could try the variety "Baby Boo"... generally the samller the pumpkin, the better it tastes, and Baby Boo is about the same sixe as a Little Gem squash....

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 18:39:00 »
Thanks for the replies - I've ordered a few Snowman seeds so will give them a go next year and as the saying goes - the proof will be in the eating.......   ;D

Suzanne - now you've given me a couple more varieties to look into  ::)

Chris - I'm a convert to gem squash after eating them years ago, and was chuffed to find the seeds on sale here  :D

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41:46 »
I've finally discovered what white pumpkin / currys are. It's where the curry powder and seeds aren't roasted and is therefore called white !!! So my thanks to Rick Stein for solving that one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal